1995 Force 120 overheat warning help.

#1bandito

Recruit
I recently purchased a 95 bayliner 1700 with a Force 120 on it. I know this package will require extra care which can be expected considering my price range. I have a few concerns as I am by know means an outboard motor expert. First of all I have ran and test drove the motor and looked it over, The boat motor started ran and drove great, Upon further inspection I noticed a few 3-5 the (exhaust port cover bolts?) where finger loose it appears they were never tightened I'm guessing I should at some time apply some loctite to them, I went through and checked them all tightening as needed, when changing the lower unit oil it seemed fairly clean no metal shavings etc it was a bit gold translucent for lack of a better word with a very slight milky appearance, one of the vent plugs was missing the washer, I replaced that. I wanted to test the overheat alarm but the wiring didn't match the book which concerns me, I am not sure when the impellar/water pump was last serviced/replaced so I am uneasy about any extended use not knowing whether or not that overheat alarm is operable. the tan lead wraps clear around the power head and the connection point is is tucked away so if I were to disconnect it I'm afraid I would never be able to reconnect it. On the exhaust port side there are two plug ends not connected at all one was brown/white stripe I believe, and the other Tan which worried me but I see no other leads that would reach these plug ends?:confused: Sorry for the long post, I need to look into picking up a clymers or something.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 Force 120 overheat warning help.

Best way to make sure you know the age of the water pump impellor is to change it.. They are a relatively cheap item and it sounds like you're not afraid of a wrench, so get a manual and go for it..

#1bandito

Recruit
Re: 1995 Force 120 overheat warning help.

Best way to make sure you know the age of the water pump impellor is to change it.. They are a relatively cheap item and it sounds like you're not afraid of a wrench, so get a manual and go for it..

Will do, I may run it a little this weekend first, That's why I was curious about the overheat sensor. I may just have to have the wife keep her eye on the pump indicator hole while we're on the water for now.