Force 50, help to adjust shifter

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a boat that has this engine. It's been sitting 5 years, so I chose to do some maintenance on it before attempting to run it. I bought a manual for reference before beginning work, even though I'm an experienced tech. I have what we think is an '89 motor. We don't know for sure since the serial number sticker is missing. Anyways, it is the type with the threaded coupling that runs outside the leg. Before I took it apart, I noted the position of the coupler, it had 6 threads showing.

I rebuilt the water pump, then went to put it together. I figured that while I had it this far apart, I would anti-seize everything possible. So I took the coupler apart, cleaned the threads, applied the moly, then reassembled the lower unit. The only problem I have now is that the shifting seems all messed up !!!

The manual I have has no adjustment sequence. I put the shifter in neutral then adjusted the rod to get neutral, but when I try to select either forward or reverse, It seems to go in hard, almost like something is binding down below in the gear case. PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS WITH THE MOTOR OFF AND JUST TURNING THE PROP BY HAND !!!

I would appreciate it if anyone can steer me in the right direction with the procedure for adjusting it. I haven't run it yet, and don't want to mess anything up before I do. Thanks.