CHRYSLER 115 cooling flow rate

stoney747

Cadet
I have a 1979 Chryser115. When you hook up the water cooling muffs, how much flow should you expect out of the exhaust snout and the tattle tale holes? a large volume or a trikkle. I would like to know before I take the head off or is there another way to clear blockaged to make sure the cooling passages are clear. I brought the powerhead used. Second question is where dose the water go when the presure relief vave opens? (to the exhuast snout or the pee holes)

THANKS

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: CHRYSLER 115 cooling flow rate

Only a small amount is diverted to the pisser. The vast majority exits the exhaust. There should be somewhere between a trickle and a gush on the hose at idle. The bypess just redirects the water flow in the powerhead, it doesn't affect total flow much. The easiest way to flush is with the gearcase off and thermostat out. Flush backwards through the thermostat hole with a garden hose. I lile to alternate forward and backflushing a few times. To forward flush, just put the hose against the pipe that goes into the water pump. It can be interesting to see what backflushes out. A bucket under the pipe will catch most of it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats. You know how a lot of water from the garden hose ends-up leaking from the sides of the muffs. To account for the rest is impossible for sure.
Are you having temp-related problems right now, Stoney?
As for proper circulation, the best test is the hand test, or temp sticks.
Feel around for hot spots. There should be no place where it should be painfull at all to touch and hold for 3 seconds .
Another suggestion is to mount a pressure guage to it. As I recall, there should be a threaded plug on top of the block for that purpose (somebody correct me if I'm thinking of later or smaller model Forces), but they almost never installed pressure gauges. A pressure guage is a far better indicator of proper cooling than a temp gauge.And they are relatively cheap. I no longer mess with Force motors, so I gave my manual to someone who does. But outside of the inspection plates, inspection of the cooling circuit resemles an upper tear-down.
Definately a "last resort", even after installing a new impeller.

stoney747

Cadet

Thank you. I will try what you recomend and get back to tell you how it turn out.

stoney747

Cadet

Hey guys. I did the touch test on the heads and the hole head was hot!! So i took off the head and the cooling circut around thr cylinder was clear. I continue to the exhuast plate, and found the bottom water entry hole above the by-pass valve was clogged with greyish- sandy clay. I cleaned all the water chanels and reinstalled the head and exhaust plate with new gaskets and put the boat in the water and the water was flowing fine out of the rear leg. thanks again
Keith