1989 Force 125hp. Electrical/Starting problems

djhype

Recruit
Something wierd is going on here, i just bought two brand spanking new batteries yesterday, It started fine on the water, i drove about an hour and shut it off, it hasnt started since then, on the water when i turned the key it didnt even make a noise, but at the same time the tilt trim motor was working strongly, the lights were nice and bright and the radio was working fine. it's as if i had plenty of power and juice in the batteries but not enough to crank over the engine, Now with it sitting in my driveway it still wont start but atleast makes an attempt, it just sounds like a car with a dead battery. Any help would be great.
Thanks again, you guys are great!
Tim

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Force 125hp. Electrical/Starting problems

If the starter won't turn over at all, the first thing to check is that in neutral, the linkage is centered and the cam depresses the neutral interlock micro switch--brown rectangular switch with 2 yellow wires attached, located to the side and below the carbs. There is compliance in the cables and sometimes when you put it in neutral, the switch is not depressed and won't energise the solenoid. onthe water cure is to move lever from neutral back into reverse then back into neutral--you may have to do it a few times. The cam is held onto the linkage with two flat head screws and can be repositioned.

If the starter is turning slowly, first check all connections for proper tightness and lack of corrosion. The starter is grounded through the block. Check where it bolts into the receiver on the block. If there is corrosion there, it could cause poor performance. If all is well, then the starter needs to be diagnosed and/or/ possibly rebuilt or replaced.

To check engine electrical, turn ignition key on, prime engine manually with a good squirt of fuel in each plug hole, replace plugs and pull start using a rope with a handle. Should fire up on first or second pull.