Chrysler Force to Johnson powerhead

scoopyex

Recruit
I currently own a 1990 Maxum with a 120 hp Force engine and L-drive. I was wondering if it's possible to replace the Force two stroke powerhead with another brand of powerhead like a Johnson or Evinrude??

My Maxum is in excellent condition but last summer the engine wouldn't run well at all. I've had no experience with the Force until I bought this boat. My previous boat was powered with a Johnson and never gave us any trouble, so I was wondering if it was possible to replace the Force with a Johnson.

Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Force to Johnson powerhead

You can do anything you want if you are willing to throw enough time and money at it. However, the short answer is NO. you cannot swap a Johnson powerhead into the L drive. There are just too many things that don't match. Sell the boat and buy one with the outboard of your choice. But don't expect to get much for your boat. The L drives have a bad reputation. Or---if really like the boat and you are willing to do the work involved, convert the boat to an outboard by closing the transom hole and installing a jackplate. Then mount your outboard of choice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chrysler Force to Johnson powerhead

What Frank said.