Force 120 Shifting Problems

I am having problems shifthing into reverse, and took it to the shope once and they told me an adjustment. So had them adjust it and now won't go in at all just make some awfull noise. Any sujestions and it's a 1995

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 120 Shifting Problems

If it won't go into either gear, then you have a problem with a broken end connection on either end of the cable, a loose clamp where the cable joins the linkage assembly, a broken or missing pin where the two shift rods join, or a broken or fallen off shift yoke inside the lower unit. This last is not very likely to have happened.
If it is only reverse that it will not go into, then the adjustment was done incorrectly. Here's what you need to do: There is a straight shift rod that comes out of the engine leg above the lower unit right below the pivot and clamp assembly that holds the engine to the transom. This rod enters a horizontal cylinder about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter. It is held with a pin and cotter.
Shift into forward and use a pen or magic marker to draw a line on the rod where it goes into the leg.
Next, shift into reverse and again draw a line on the rod. Now put a line exactly centered between the two lines already drawn. Put the engine into neutral. If the center line is not at the point where the rod goes into the leg, then you need adjustment.
On the engine, below the carbs you will see the shift lever. Dead center you will see a cast piece with the upper shift rod going through it. there will be a nut on the bottom of the cast piece and a nut on the top. By adjusting these two 9/16 nuts up or down, you change the length of the upper shift rod and thus relocate the lower shift rod so neutral is halfway between the two extremes of travel. This assumes that the rest of your linkage is in proper alignment.
Where the shift cable enters the engine it connects to the shift linkage. be sure that the clamp is in the groove on the shift cable, and the clamp screw is tight.
Follow the shift cable back to its termination at the back of the engine and below the fuel pump. The small fitting should be screwed onto the cable about halfway (3/8 to 1/2 inch showing) and the locknut should be tight. This should be checked before adjusting the shift rod. This should not be used to adjust the shift throw.
If these are correct and you still have trouble getting into reverse, Check for binding in the linkage and shift cable. Lastly, check the cable inside the control box to be sure it is not binding in there or improperly adjusted. The end of the cable should be screwed into the pivot pin about halfway.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 120 Shifting Problems

Looking at my answer to you, I misread and thought you had a 1985 engine. I have never worked on a 95. On the 95, the linkage and connections may be a little different but the principals are the same. You need to adjust it so you get the same upward and downward movement of the lower shift rod.