'73 Chrysler 35hp not starting

scottbram

Recruit
Need some help with my motor not starting,

Running fine lost one cylinder and shortly after lost the other. I did have to replace the plugs pretty often before it quit starting. I have replaced the points and condensors, but still not firing. It is getting plenty of gas, and all the wires seem to be hooked up correctly according to the diagram on the side of the motor.

Can anyone help with this or know where I can find the help? The model number is 355HD. Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: '73 Chrysler 35hp not starting

Test for spark. Is it getting any at all? If it is timing might be off due to a busted flywheel key. If no spark at all I would check the coils. What plugs are you using? L82C champ plugs should be the best plugs for your motor.

scottbram

Recruit

eurolarva said:
Test for spark. Is it getting any at all? If it is timing might be off due to a busted flywheel key. If no spark at all I would check the coils. What plugs are you using? L82C champ plugs should be the best plugs for your motor.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Using an ohm meter test primary and secondary of the coil. Primary should read around .5 to .6 ohms and the secondary should read around50 to 60 ohms. If you tie the meter leads together on the lowest ohm setting possible you will probably read .4 ohms. A reading slightly higher will show that the coil is not shorted or open. My guess is your problem is somewhere else then the coils. One coil going out is possible however both going out at the same time is pretty unlikely. Your ignition switch grounds out the coils so they wont fire. My guess is your ignition switch may be your problem. Go to the terminal strip on your motor and disconnect the blue wire and try starting the motor. If still no spark reconnect the blue wire and disconnet the white wire and re try starting. If motor starts you will not be able to shut it off with the key. You will need to choke the carb to kill the motor or reconnect the disconnected wire.

scottbram

Recruit

Thanks, I will try this and let you what comes of it.

scottbram

Recruit

primary ohms reading was .5 secondary reading was only 8 ohms i tried removing the blue wire and the white still no start i guess i will looking for coils does anyone know where to find coils thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are your spark plug wires hard wired to the coils? If so chances are the coil number is 12057 which is the original chrysler part number and the correct ohm reading should be 0.62-0.68 ohms on the primary and 45 to 55 on the secondary. If you have an alternator type ignition system 2A91475-1 primary would be 3.0-4.0 and secondary would be 53-63 ohms. Problem is neither one of these coils are availible anymore. You can try www.chryslercrew.com or the marine doctor. One may have one or two or try ebay.

I still cant believe both coils would have gone bad together. When you tested them did you remove them from the motor or leave them connected? If left connected you could be reading a parallel resistance on the secondary. There should be a circuit breaker on the port side that I believe will allow the starter to spin but not start the motor. You might want to check there. Go back to the points and verify they are gapped correctly and that they are clean.