85 hp Force Shift andTrottle cable Questions?

I am fairly new with bigger engines with remote function and I recently picked up a 1987 Bayliner bass boat with an 85 hp force that needed a lot of work and the previous owner really messed a lot of it up. First I noticed that when I pushed the remote control lever either foward or back it took to about 1/3 of the way down to have it fully shifted into gear and for the trottle cable to start moving. (By the way the shifting cable began moving once I started moving the control) Second of all when the remote arm is fully down the butterflys only open a little more than half their full capability. I don't think its right and i'm not sure how i can adjust it. Is this normal? Any advice on how it should be or how to adjust it? Thanks!
Ps: I'm a newb, so idon't know if this may seem like a stupid question to a pro!:$

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 hp Force Shift andTrottle cable Questions?

Shift throttle cable movement sounds normal to me.

It allows the engine to fully engage the gear before the throttle picks up.

Second of all when the remote arm is fully down the butterflys only open a little more than half their full capability.

If the motor was in neutral (via the throttle only release button)
then the butterflies are limited as to how far they can open.

Shift motor into gear and advance the throttle.

Sounds like your first job is to buy a Clymer Force repair manual.
It is the best for your motor.
Carb link and sync is covered extensively.

d:) Thanks for the info! I will definetly get the manual you recommended. But I'm still a little confused. Are the butterflys supposed go wide open at full trottle with the engine shifted into gear?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

yes, when the engine is shifted into gear.

But if you use the throttle only provision, to advance the throttle but not shift into gear, the butterflies will be limited.