1985 Force 85 HP shifting question

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice
I can get the motor to shift into reverse, and when I go into forward I hear clanking sound and the prop does not engage like it should. I know there needs to be some adjustments made to the throttle cables. Any suggestions?

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 Force 85 HP shifting question

WOW, no replies. Either this problem is very easy to fix. or it is too difficult for anyone to give me some ideas as to how to correct it. Thanks all.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I am suprised no hits on this one. I have a chrysler so I am of little help. On chryslers there is an adjustment inside the motor leg for this however I am sure force is different. Best to keep hitting bump on the thread and a force guy will be along.

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice

This is the first time I Posted a question and not have many replies. I know that my question cannot be too difficult to answer. I'm sure there is something sticking preventing the gear from going into forward.

I'm not sure if this will help but I know my force 85 has a shift rod that has to adjusted correctly for it to shift correctly. You can see the very end of the rod from the oustide of the engine, it has a pin and a very small cotter pin in it. I had to adjust mine up a little for it to shift correctly. Hope this helps.

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I will check this out.