Force 125 Head Bolts

HeldByForce

Recruit
With engine still mounted to boat I needed to remove the head and as expected twisted off several of the 1/2" bolt heads. So far I tried soaking with "blaster" oil and applied heat but so far cannot get any of the studs to turn out. Any suggestions?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 Head Bolts

The typical answer is to try getting some PB Blaster into the threads and hit the bolts with a hammer (not real hard just to get the vibration to release the corrosion) If heads are stripped you can either try and center tap them and drill with an easy out or try and slot them with a dremel tool so you can use a screw driver. Chances are the corrosion is bad enough that they are permanant. Is motor near or on an ocean or salt water body?

HeldByForce

Recruit
Re: Force 125 Head Bolts

Affirmative on the salt water since I cruize the Chesapeake. Tried BP balster as well as tapping on the exposed stud just above the head but so far no luck. Out of the 18 bolts 12 of them have the bolt heads twisted off. I'm down to carefully drilling out what I can in the hope that I can lift the head off whats left of the studs. What a PITA !!!