When shifting from forward to reverse the motor often dies. 1988 Force 125

Kevincem

Cadet
I am having a problem with my 1988 Force 125 model# 1251X8A. When shifting from forward to reverse the motor often dies. This makes for a fun time at the dock and loading ramp. I then have a terrible time getting it restarted. It starts like it is flooded. I searched for posts with similar problems and found one that suggested that I replace the fuel pump diaphragm and gaskets. I took the fuel pump apart last fall and everything looked ok. Does this sound like the correct fix for my problem or do I have two separate issues? The first being the shifting problem and the second being the flooding problem. When I am underway the engine runs fine.

Thanks

Kevincem

Cadet

Realgun

Commander
Re: When shifting from forward to reverse the motor often dies. 1988 Force 125

Have you tried NAPA auto parts? They have them.

Catchem&Eatem

Recruit

I have replaced the primer bulb and the fuel pump gaskets and the problem still persists. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Make sure when you restart you do not choke. Also make sure the choke butterflies are all the way open. Are you saying that when in neutral you can not shift into forward or reverse without motor killing? If so clean out the low speed circuits in the carbs. Remove the idle mixture screw and spring and open carb throttles and spray carb cleaner in the small three holes in the carb. Clean them with a small wire then blow more carb cleaner towards the mixture screw hole then blow compressed air the same direction. Reinstall mixture adjustment screw and spring about 1 turn counterclockwise from lightly seated and see if that improves the starting.

Also Kevin if you could get rid of the links you posted in your above thread it would make it a lot easier to read this thread. To the left of your thread you can choose edit post and just delete the threads.

Scud

Recruit

Hi

Sounds like the same thing that is happening to me. I have the same year and serial number as your engine. I had the mechanic go thru the carbs and fuel pump. He said I needed new cylinder drains. The check valves where gone on them and my engine was filing up with gas. Problem is I can't find the correct cylinder drains for my engine. I have looked thru the below online mercury parts catalogue and nothing matches. I would be curious if your cylinder drains where self contained or had the elbow which attached to a hose that recuirculate the fuel.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectModels3.asp?type_id=FORC

scot