Force 15hp cold start

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi y'awl, My new acquisition, 1997 Force 15hp requires many pulls to start when cold, This bugs me. once started it will start real easy for the rest of the day ... dont have any clues for now and would like to read expert's comments on that.

Tx

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 15hp cold start

Squeeze the primer bulb until firm.pull the choke,
set on start and crank.Should fire right up.
Check the choke to be sure it closes properly.
Check the plugs for clean and proper gap.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Steelespike: tx for the info. This procedure is actualy written right on the engine casing. Did all that ... but it wont fire for up to 20 cranks ... and when it does I hardly pull the crank rope out that it's running. choke closes fine, plugs are new and installed by local merc dealer. I am not a mecanic, it almost seem like it takes a lot of cranking to get fire on the plugs when cold. Once started it will run like a jewel all day.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As you squeeze the primer if you listen closely you may be able to hear the fuel going into the carb.When the bulb firms up the carb is full.If it has a kill switch with a lanyard be sure it is hooked up properly and maybe operate it a couple of times to be sure it is operating properly

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Diagnostic: once the carb is empty and the motor sits there for more than 3 to 4 days it wont siphon the gas from the carb even when choke is on ... the choke clapet is the 9.9 model which is only half close/open as the one on the 15 should fully close to have the gas be sucked in from the carbs .... obviously looks like a manufacturing defect since nothing had been touched on that motor (looked like new)

to be followed ...

Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

carb been cleaned, new plugs, pleanty of spark, but choke did not close the carb opening. Fresh out of tune up.

What else beside choke not closing could cause gasoline Not to be sucked in from the carb to the pistons ?

????

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

steelspike: oddly enough the choke door was a half door like the one being used on the 9.9hp This small part was changed to the normal part and now closes almost fully like it should on the 15hp.

Now it fires up on the second pull ... pretty much as you said.

This motor had not been used at all for the past 3 years according to a tune up invoice I saw that was done one day prior to my purchase. Being a 1997 it had only been used for 5 years .... and I presume it never started good ... which may explain why it looked like new.

I was lucky enough to have an outboard mecanic friend who found the problem as we strolled true the micro parts drawings at his shop.

I ll be using it tomorow ... LOL

cheers