Force 125 bogging down

I previously asked for advice about my 1987 125j[ Force outboard which is bogging down at full throttle. I think it's the fuel filter or air filter but am not sure. Here's what happens: after I take it to full throttle, it runs at max speed for about 1 minute then bogs down. I tried manually pumping fuel to the engine by squeezing the bulb 4-8 times. By doing that, the engine goes back to running at max speed until it runs out of fuel and bogs down again. <br /><br />Does this sound like a fuel filter or air filter problem? If so, does anyone know where those are located on an 1987 Bayliner Cuddy with a 125 Force outboard? I've ordered a repair manual, but was hoping to get some advice in advance as well. Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force 125 bogging down

Could be a clogged fuel filter. That would be a screen where the gas enters the fuel pump. I've seen very few clog. Could also be a clogged vent. More likely it needs a fuel pump rebuild. Those parts are fairly inexpensive. Look here.

Thanks for the quick response. I removed the fuel pump today and everything looked clean. No sediment in the screen - very clean. How could I figure out if it's a clogged air vent or something in the fuel line? I'm thinking it must be the air filter/vent since if it were something with the fuel I assume it would appear in the fuel filter, right? Thanks again for the advice!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Could be varnish but most likely the alcohal in the gas dried up the rubber in the fuel pump and the carburator. Buy the rebuild kit that steelspike recommended and start with that. It is easy to install and it should fix the problem. If problem still persists it could be one of your high speed jets is plugged in one of your carbs