85 Hp FORCE tune-up?

acuthbertson

Recruit
I am thinking about buying a 1978 Cobia runabout with a 85 Hp FORCE. The Cobia is in mint condition and my only concern is the engine. I put the boat is the water after two years of not running and it started with a little TLC. The problem is when I went to put it in gear it bogged out??? Finally I got it out of the wake zone in forward only to die out about 20 yards from shore and had to paddle in. I could not start the boat again once it simply quit in half throttle? Any suggestions....Could this simply be a carb cleaning and new plugs and gas??? I spoke with a mechanic and he quoted me 300- 400 bucks to clean the carbs and tune-up the engine. Is this the right thing to do? I am new to the game. Thanks for any help....

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 Hp FORCE tune-up?

Hello Killian and welcome to iboats. Start with getting the compression tested or doing it yourself. the tester is 30 bucks and anyone can do it. If compression is good start with the fuel pump rebuild (very easy) and then rebuild the carbs (pretty easy). If you buy a service manual after you pass the compression test we can help you with the carb rebuild and the fuel pump rebuild. <br /><br />Typical fuel pump rebuild in case you are worried. Disconnect 4 fuel lines. Remove two screws. Now remove 6 screws and separate the fuel pump. Remove diaphram and gasket then replace gasket and diaphram with new one and reverse disassembly. Fuel pump rebuild is like 8 bucks and carb kits for each carb is 16 dollars. Rebuild of two carbs and a fuel pump takes about 2 hours. <br /><br />You will also want to replace the fuel lines on the motor and dump all the old gas and start out fresh. <br /><br />Good luck and keep posting.