Head gasket 85 chrysler

DraapMAN

Cadet
I recently bought a boat, what you'd call a "fix'er'upper", and have a few questions about the motor. The guy i purchased it from said the only thing wrong with it was the headgasket. Its a Chrysler Skier 700, 85 horsepower and it supposidly a 1985. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to completely rebuild, or change the headgasket. Also, what year it is exactly and where to get parts for it. The model number is :856X5L and the serial number is: 2196. thanks for your time.<br /><br /><br />New user,<br /> Dylan Raap

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Head gasket 85 chrysler

Motor is actually a Force and not a chrysler. It was produced in 1985. Force took over chrysler in 1984. Mercury sells that head gasket and the part number is 27-820438 and the price is about 40 bucks. Replacing it is not hard. You will need a service manual and a torque wrench. I would remove the head gasket before buying a new one and verify the cylinders are in good condition first. If they are scored or burnt up it is not worth fixing.

DraapMAN

Cadet

Is there a reason the cover for the motor still says chrysler? Is it because it was the beginning of the switch? thanks for your help. Also, the top piston has some white build up on the top, and the cylinder walls seem to be fine. Is this motor still worth fixing?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

May have been one of the last chrysler production lines. AS long as no scoring, and the pistons look good. The white deposits might be lime from the water that was getting in. I would get some marvel mystery oil and saturate the pistons and cylinders with it. Get the new gasket and give it a try. Your cost is only 50 bucks with the gasket and shipping. Then you can take it to the iboats reunion in Wisconsin in Mosinee at the end of June and show it off.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sure sounds like it is worth fixing and maintaining. Maybe not worth the expense of a total rebuild, but it doesn't sound like you need that anyways.<br /><br />Do the head gasket, spray a liberal amount of tcw3 oil, or Seafoam, or Mystery oil, inside before you bolt the head on. Then if you can get it running, do the fuel system, lower unit lube, and a decarb. Presto, good as new for $100.<br /><br />Then read this:<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=013211#000000 <br /><br />In a nutshell, about 35 of us getting to gether to boat, fish, ski, hangout, for a day or two. You are certainly welcome to stop by.<br /><br />I spent 36 years in the Milwaukee area, where about are you located?

DraapMAN

Cadet

Well thanks al lot roscoe, I'll keep u updated on my progress, I'll probably order the parts early next week and begin there. Thanks again for your help, and I'll have to get back to you on the trip in June.<br /><br /><br />Dylan Raap<br /><br /><br />p.s.: I am actually in the Wind Lake/Muskego area, about 15 miles west, southwest of milwaukee

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Relatives of mine own Muskego beer & liquor.<br />And a friend of mine lived/lives out on Woods Road.<br />Used to go to Dandelion Park as a kid.<br />Oh heck, your're probably too young to know about Dandelion Park. :(