120hp Force Alarm?

o9rady

Cadet
I have a '96 120hp Force. This weekend it sounded like a "chirp" alarm noise was coming from inside the throttle lever while the boat was idling. If I throttled the motor up, it would change from a continous chirp to an intermittent chirp until at WOT it would stop. If I turned the motor off, then switched the key to "on" without starting the motor, it would be a continous chirp. Any ideas what is going on? If you haven't guessed by now, I'm very new to this boat. Also, the pee hole shoots an intermittent jet at low rpm, but a stronger and stronger one as rpm's increase. I premix the oil in the fuel tank for this motor. The motor runs good, but is somewhat cold natured, but the guy who sold it to me says it needs a tune up. Any help would be appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120hp Force Alarm?

Welcome o9rady.<br />Serious stuff going on here.<br />The alarm is an overheating alarm, directly related to the weak pee stream.<br />Do not run again until you change the waterpump impeller !!<br /><br />Get it serviced, or wait till the overheating destroys the motor.

o9rady

Cadet

I'm semi-mechanical. I change my own oil, brakes, etc on my truck. How difficult is it to replace the impeller? I dropped the lower unit on an old 9.5 hp Johnson and it was a piece of cake. Also, from reading other posts, it seems that it is probably a good idea to change the entire water pump (?). How much more difficult is that? That little motor I took apart was just a rubber gear looking thing inside of a metal housing. Any advice would be appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Pretty much the same deal.<br />Just bigger and heavier.<br /><br />Helps to have a Clymer repair manual at your side.<br /><br />My motors don't get alot of hours on them, so I change the impellers 3 or 4 times before I spend the money on the entire waterpump housing.<br /><br />Just ask if you have any troubles.