Force 50HP Shifting

SRBC69

Recruit
I've got a Blue Fin Super Hawk with a Force 50HP (US Mdl: 507Y8D, SN: 1593) and I'm have problems shifting between Drive, Neutral, & Reverse.<br /><br />I've tried to adjust the linkage cables, but am new to this and with no direction I randomly get 1, or 2 of the gears to work when shifting. Can someone help give me direction to properly adjust this?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50HP Shifting

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />It is indeed a bit tricky.<br />Hopefully, the cable isn't too far from where it was.<br />The cable connection to the motor usually doesn't need to be moved, once set up properly to enable the shift rod to move and the neutral interlock switch to engage. This switch must be engaged in neutral only, to allow the starter to work.<br /><br />About a foot below the powerhead, about halfway down the leg section of the motor, the shift rod has a joint. The 2 halves of the shift rod fit into a threaded coupler. This is where you adjust the length of the rod, to hit all 3 gears. Once set, mark them with a Sharpie marker for reference, ans lock them in place with the jam nut. <br /><br />The process of getting it all just right can take some time. The process is outlined in the Clymer repair manual, pages 473-474, if you need a reference.

dolliver

Cadet

Once set, mark them with a Sharpie marker for reference, ans lock them in place with the jam nut. The process of getting it all just right can take some time. The process is outlined in the Clymer repair manual, pages 473-474,

in reference to the above quote. is the clymer repair manual available online to view? i am have the trouble the my force 50hp is going into reverse fine neutral fine and forward but sounds like it tries to jump out of forward gear randomly while trying to get the reves up. hoping this is simply poor adjustment and not a major problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Doliver you should start a thread of your own??
If it' jumping out of forward gear as you apply a load, it probably has a bad clutch dog?
It can be removed and re-surfaced. The forward gear can be done too.PROFILE?? LOCATION?? You might be close to someone who can help.

Shifting slow is a NO-NO.It needs to be put swiftly into gear and no hesitation.

SRBC69 Did this just start? You change something? Unhook the shifter linkage at the motor(guessing it's a 1988?) Then try shifting into F-N-R Turning the prop with your foot, making sure it engages both ways. Find neutral, then adjust the connector so it fits on the ball.
Then try shifting, it has to be in the water and running for this to work right.
That doesn't work, then try adjusting the shifter,the shift arm might have a second hole to increase the throw. Then what shape is the cable?? If it's an 88 then time for a new one?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

dolliver, please start your own thread. This one is 7 years old........ Thank you......