88 Force 125HP Bogging down at 2300 RPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Bayliner with a Force 125hp engine on it. The boat has sat for about 2 years, with occasional starting and it was winterized during this time period.<br /><br />I have rebuild both carbs, putting in all new plugs in the carburetors. I cleaned them very good and made sure that all passages were clear with compressed air. I have put a new Fuel water seperator on the boat. I also put new plugs in the boat. I then removed the old gas and put fresh gas mixed at 50:1 ratio in the boat. I took it to the lake yesterday to run it, it runs perfect on the driveway. When I got on the lake it runs perfect up to about 2000 RPMS, then it bogs down. Its like its starving for gas. So knowing the first thing that I would be asked on here, I squeezed the bulb, its pretty tight, but when the RPMS get closer to the 2000 mark, its not as tight as it should be. It still is tight, but not very hard like when I pump it up.<br /><br />I have replaced the Fuel pump back about 2 years ago, before it sat. I have not checked this yet or the little Screen filter that is mounted on the gas in to the Fuel pump.<br /><br />I also tweaked the Air screws on the carbs while on the lake and got it to run a little better. The Timing was set dead on before, have not had a chance to check this yet, to make sure it has not changed, but it should not as all nuts were still locked in with locktite. The boat also has 2 marine batteries which were both charged up.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this?<br /><br />I ran the boat for about 4 hours at low speeds, and it seemed to run fine, just would not get moving. What it would do is when I gunned it, it would get to about 3000 and just flat die, and if I did not pull back on the throttle it would turn off. Another note is that it only does this when in gear with a load, so it only does it in the water. If I put it in Neutral, I can get the RPMS up to about 4500+, didn't really try it to long, but it revved right up to 4500.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 Force 125HP Bogging down at 2300 RPMS

Have you checked the compression?<br />Also, check for spark on all 4 plugs.<br /><br />Could also be the float level on the carbs.<br />Or high speed portion of the stator not providing current to ignition system.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I just found this on the Marine doctors forums. <br /><br /> Re: 85 force 125<br />« Reply #16 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 9:59am » Quote Modify <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />You may have a stuck float on the top carb. <br /> <br />Force engines will not run this way. Correct it first...then water test. <br /> <br />TMD<br /><br />-------------<br /><br />When I put the Carbs all back together, I noticed the needle under the float on the top carb, was sticking, even after cleaning allk hte junk out of it. I just thought this was because it was so clean, there was no oil or gas on it to lubricate it. I will check to see if this is sticking.<br /><br />The compression is 128, 128, 127, 128.<br /><br />I have not checked the spark yet, but will do so sometime this week, when I get a chance.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Keep us updated.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I put a new fuel pump Diaphragm in last night. The one that was in there, had 2 pretty large wrinkles across the entire diaphragm. <br /><br />Could this have caused the above problems? <br /><br />I will be checking the Spark tonight, if I can get a chance to do it.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Just noticed while looking at the Bam Site: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...200/21.png&inbr=1258&bnbr=80&bdesc=CARBURETOR <br /><br />that the main jets for the Top and Bottom carbs are Different? I purchased a Rebuild kit, but it did not come with new main fuel jets. On my engine the jets are both 094, or this is what is printed on the jet itself. On this site it states the Top one should be .101. I have never changed the jets, as far as I know, so these would have been changed before I purchased the boat 7 years ago.<br /><br />Just a thought, while I was doing some research.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the top carb is supposed to have a larger jet.<br />Don't know if that is your problem now, but I would change it.<br /><br />You don't want that carb running lean.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Ok,<br />I have now tested the Compression again and it is 120, 120, 120, 120 with the engine cold. I didn't run it this time before I tested it, and all the cylinders were equal.<br /><br />I also checked the brand new plugs and 2 looked as if they had some build up, which I would have expected since the gas has been sitting for a while. This was also the first time the boat has been run in about 2 years, other than running in the driveway.<br /><br />I also checked the spark, with a spark tester. I set it to 1/2" gap. The spark on all 4 coils was the same, and they all had a good spark that jumped the 1/2" gap. So It doesn't seem that I have an electrical problem.<br /><br />I also noticed the Float on the top carb was not fully closing the needle, so I readjusted this.<br /><br />Any other ideas of what to try? I may just have to take it back to the lake and see what it does now with the Change of the Fuel Diaphragm and also the float adjustment. I don't see anything else that may cause the problem.<br /><br />I have also ordered the new Jet, but that will not be here until probably next week.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.<br /><br />Bryan

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, So I gave up after easter weekend. I worked on it about 14 hours over that weekend, down on a river where I could test and test and have plenty of Water to use.<br /><br />Replaced all fuel lines, because I found that some lines were going bad and collapsing. I also redid the carbs again, cleaning them very very well. Then I gave up, lol and took it a mechanic, when my nerves finally went. <br /><br />Ends up, everything on the Engine is perfect. It just was not getting gas, I talked to the mechanic on Tuesday, and they were also pulling their hair out on this one. He even went behind me and checked the fuel pump and both carbs. what the probelm ended up being was the needles on the Carbs, that are controlled by the floats to allow gas in to the bowl, were sticking.<br /><br />I had replaced these and cleaned the seat really good, he did the same, still no change. So he finally had to find some older needles that were all metal, instead of the ones with the Polyurethane tip on them. He said these have had known issues in the past. <br /><br />I will be going to pick it up this weekend, he was taking it to the lake today to test it again, to make sure he got it. But he was pretty solid he fixed it yesterday, just wanted to make sure on the lake.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help,<br />Bryan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well that good and bad news.<br /><br />Good that its fixed, bad that it was funky parts.<br />Also bad that it cost you money for something that you had already done.<br /><br />Happy boating.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, that is the truth. I still have not gotten it in the water yet, to see how she runs, but am dying to.<br /><br />Just haven't had the time to get out of work and all to get to the lake, or its been raining on the weekends.<br /><br />As always live and learn.<br /><br />Bryan

billyfranks22

Recruit
I have a Bayliner with a Force 125hp engine on it. The boat has sat for about 2 years, with occasional starting and it was winterized during this time period.<br /><br />I have rebuild both carbs, putting in all new plugs in the carburetors. I cleaned them very good and made sure that all passages were clear with compressed air. I have put a new Fuel water seperator on the boat. I also put new plugs in the boat. I then removed the old gas and put fresh gas mixed at 50:1 ratio in the boat. I took it to the lake yesterday to run it, it runs perfect on the driveway. When I got on the lake it runs perfect up to about 2000 RPMS, then it bogs down. Its like its starving for gas. So knowing the first thing that I would be asked on here, I squeezed the bulb, its pretty tight, but when the RPMS get closer to the 2000 mark, its not as tight as it should be. It still is tight, but not very hard like when I pump it up.<br /><br />I have replaced the Fuel pump back about 2 years ago, before it sat. I have not checked this yet or the little Screen filter that is mounted on the gas in to the Fuel pump.<br /><br />I also tweaked the Air screws on the carbs while on the lake and got it to run a little better. The Timing was set dead on before, have not had a chance to check this yet, to make sure it has not changed, but it should not as all nuts were still locked in with locktite. The boat also has 2 marine batteries which were both charged up.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this?<br /><br />I ran the boat for about 4 hours at low speeds, and it seemed to run fine, just would not get moving. What it would do is when I gunned it, it would get to about 3000 and just flat die, and if I did not pull back on the throttle it would turn off. Another note is that it only does this when in gear with a load, so it only does it in the water. If I put it in Neutral, I can get the RPMS up to about 4500+, didn't really try it to long, but it revved right up to 4500.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan

I have a 125 that is doing the very same thing and don't think it is the fuel would like to hear more about the stator

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 125 that is doing the very same thing and don't think it is the fuel would like to hear more about the stator

Start a new thread of your own, Bry21317 made his last visit in July, 2009. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.