Chrysler water pump

jsnfltn75

Recruit
I have a early to mid 70 year Chrylser 35HP motor. THe moter has been sitting for a few years and was not pumping water when I fired it up a few weeks ago. Changed the water pump and put it back together and it is not pumpimg water the whole time. We have taken it apart several times and even used gasket sealer. THe water lines are open, we sprayed water up into them and the water poured out. When I start the motor no water, if I increase the fast idle then water will pump out and stops when a turn the fast idle down. <br /><br />Does anyone have a diagram they can send me of the lower unit and the water pump and how it goes together so I know it is correct? ALso the water pump sits on a metal plate. someone said there should be 2 plates, one on the top and one on the bottom, is this correct? I only have 1 plate. DOes the water pump need to be completed sealed except for the hole in the bottom plate? <br /><br />Thanks for any help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler water pump

Hello jsnfltn75 and welcome to Iboats. There is only one plate under the impeller. No sealent is required anywhere near the water pump. <br />
14.gif
<br /><br />First off your chrysler is not going to shoot water like a Jetski. At idle with lower unit in a can full of water or a lake at idle will just sputter water out the telltale. If you are not getting any water flow your thermostat could be plugged closed or the the water tube is not lined up with the grommet on the bottom of the powerhead. <br /><br />With the lower unit off place the water tube into the grommet up by the powerhead. It should hold in place there by itself. When you installed the impeller make sure you remembered to put the impeller key into the drive shaft. Another common mistake is the fins on the impeller are going the wrong way. The correct way to install impeller is to put it on the impeller key. Lower waterpump down to the top of the impeller. While turning the drive shaft clockwise slowly push hard down on the water pump till is seats. Good luck and if you need any more info please post it here on this thread

jsnfltn75

Recruit

Thanks for the daigram this is great. <br /><br />What temperature should the motor be at while running? I have a temp gun and wanted to shot it to make sure it didn't overheat.<br /><br />Thanks agian.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Easy old timer way to check the temp.<br /> Carefully feel the head.It should be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.<br /> BE CAREFUL

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thermostat is a 130 degree one. I usually test the water coming out of the telltale. It should be very warm but not hot enough to burn.

Rebeldkm

Recruit

I need help, can someone tell me how to change the seal located under the water pump, do I need to remove the shaft and knock it out from the bottom or can it be removed from the top. If you could give detailed instruction on how to do this it would be a great help, The motor is a 1977 105 chrysler