• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

85HP Force Lower Unit Drain Plug

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85HP Force Lower Unit Drain Plug

Not being familiar with any outboard but Mercury/Evinrude, I began looking for the lower unit drain plug on my recenly acquired Force 85. With a bit of help, I found it. Problem: Allen wrench wiped the corners of the allen screw drain plug. I drilled through it, with the idea of using an "Easy Out" for removing the rest of the screw, but it will not budge (I've leaned on it heavily). Any suggestions? My thought is to continue drilling out the allen screw until (1) it's all gone and I still have some good thread left; or (2) I drill and tap to the next larger size. Wondering what others might think of this situation. Thanks for any help you may provide. Gary

Re: 85HP Force Lower Unit Drain Plug

I once had that motor and had the same issue, you have 2 options drill the hole out to he next size that will remove the remants of the existing plug and tap it ( when tapping the new threads, coat the tap with grease, this will some what kept the shavings , some what from filling the lower unit, althought I'd rinse the lower unit with diesel ot kersoeine )or get a used lower unit $$$$$, I did the first option and ran that motor till I sold it , the benefit of having a larger hole is the oil drains some what faster, just take your time in retaping the hole, and use a brass or stainless steel plug

Comment

My 87 125hp has the same issue. Dang drain plug is in so tight I cant's shift it with either metric or imperial allen keys - and I didn't want to round it out - so I did things the hard way - removed lower unit took out fill and vent plugs, up-ended it and drained out of the fill/vent holes. What a pain.....

Comment

i'm having same problem...i quit trying to take it out and just topped off the oil ...i could prob get it out but it will be ruined...are these plugs for sale anywhere?
        Run it till the prop falls off!!!

Comment

That just means you are puttingh the plug in way to tight. A 1/4 turn past hand tight should be fine. 3 years now. When I cange my oil there is never any water in it to my surprise and delight.BTW I hate that little plug. They used a big screw on the shift pin why not on the drain?

Comment

Don't know for sure...(can't remember really)...but aren't those plugs a tapered plug thread? If you use a little dab of gasket sealing compound on the threads, that'll help keep the threads from seizing. Biggest problem with them I think is the fact that there's two different metals in contact....aluminum and I beleive the plugs are a stainless alloy.
            When in doubt...use the manual

Rayland, Ohio....Along the Muddy Banks of the Mighty Ohio River.

Comment

Hi all, I have the same problem with drain plug ,I drained lower unit by removing propellor and anode ,when these are removed you will see four bolts around the prop shaft remove the lower two being careful not to lose the two small o rings ,when oil stopped coming out I added a couple of ounces of fresh oil to give it a flush till clear oil flowed ,put it back together and re filled as normal. Not ideal solution but it gets the job done. Hope this helps someone. Jim B
              no point having an umbrella if your shoes are leaking.

Comment

Well, since you already drilled it, Try hammering in an old Torx bit that you don't want. Then heat the case--aluminum expands way more than stainless. Actually, heat the case and whack the plug hard to try to break corrosion before hammering in the Torx. And since corrosion is the culprit, coat the next plug with teflon pipe tape or silver anti-seize. Remove it every season to prevent corrosion from getting a hold on it.

If you do decide to completely drill out the setscrew--yes, it is a 5/16 allen head set screw and must be bottomed tight to seal-- then you have the choice of re-tapping 1/16 NPT, 1/8 NPT or 3/8-16 like the fill and vent plugs. NPT plugs are tapered as are the tapped holes. Do not tap too deep or the plugs will not seal. Do it in stages and try the plug in between.

NPT taps in these sizes are available at Fastenal, Graingers etc. They are not available in these sizes at Sears etc.

Comment

I just wondered where you found a new plug. I removed mine but I am afraid to put it back in. I visited local shop, and local hardware, no one has stainless steel. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X