35 HP CHRYSLER OUTBOARD STARTING -RUNNING PROBLEMS

blugunnman

Cadet
i JUST GOT THIS MOTOR FOR FREE IT HAS A KEY START, WITH MANUAL TILT, IM NEW TO THE BOATING WORLD AND NOT SURE WHAT YEAR IT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 1013 AND MODEL NUMBER IS 354HB . tHE PROBLEM IS, IS THAT WHEN I START THE MOTOR I SEE A LITTLE SMOKE COMING FROM UNDER THE FLYWHEEL, WHEN IT DOES START IT SEEMS TO RUN GOOD BUT THE REAL PROBLEM IS WHEN I TURN IT OFF THE MOTOR DOESNT STOP WHEN I TURN KEY OFF, I HOPE ITS A SIMPLE WIRING PROBLEM CAN ANYONE HELP????

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 35 HP CHRYSLER OUTBOARD STARTING -RUNNING PROBLEMS

Motor is from 1970. I will get back to you later on the wiring. Could be the ignition switch is bad or some wire on the terminal block is didconnected. For now to kill the motor you can use the choke to kill it. This is done by pushing the key in. You should here a loud click and the choke butterflie should close.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I am going to assume that you have a Magna ignition system because these were most common in the late 60s and early 70s. If you see coils on the rear side of the motor this would be a different ignition system. The coils on a magna system is up in the flywheel. Another indicator on magna would be on the ignition switch. There are two M s on the switch. If you have a blue wire going to one M and a white wire going to the other M you probably have magna power ignition.<br /><br />Disconnect one of the wires from either of the M positions on the switch. One should be blue and the other white. Use an ohm meter set to a low range connected to both M positions on the switch and with the switch in the off position you should see a short or closed or low ohm condition. When you turn the switch to on or start the swith should be open and the meter should read no load or infinate. If switch does not short out when it is off your motor will not kill. If that is not the problem the wires going back to the motor have been altered. Check the switch first and check back.<br /><br />It might be easier to remove one of the wires from the barrior strip on the motor if the ignition switch is in a hard place to get to. Then put the meter on the harness side using the blue and white wire. The reason you want to remove the wire is to get the coils out of the circuit which will read almost like a short or low ohm condition.<br /><br />Good luck

blugunnman

Cadet

thank you for replying, and finding the year of motor, the wiring behind the switch(counterclockwise)yellow wire goes to the 's', green wire goes to 'c', the obvios red power wire, although i do have 2 spots marked 'm' but only one has a post with a screw on it with a blue wire attached, i have a ohm meter but not sure how to use. but now it turns over great but is not catching, any other suggestions would be great. when first got motor it fired up for a few seconds now it doesn't seem to just want to catch. tks again

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you pushing the key in to choke it? A lot of people do not know about the choking feature on the ignition. When ignition is in run or on position when you push the key in you should hear an audible click and with the cowling off you should see the choke butterfly close. If a cold motor is not choked it will be very hard to start it.<br /><br />When you saw the smoke coming from under the flywheel did it smell electrical? Can you send me a picture of the powerhead. When you had it running did you have it in water or hooked up to water muffs?<br /> ralgoetz@comcast.net

blugunnman

Cadet

YEs the choke works fine, and yes the smoke smelt like an electrical smoke, there was also a clicking sound coming from the harness side when key was in on position, when i turned key back the clicking sound and smoke went away,and when it was running which was last fall in a trash can I was testing to see if impeller worked which it did. was only running for like a minute, then i put my hand over the choke to kill it. it is in a garage, will the winter weather make it even more difficult to start?, should i bring in basement.i will email a few pictures of motor today.tks again

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I sent some information and have seen the pictures you sent. I still think this motor is magna power. Are the coils up under the flywheel? That smoke is not a good thing. Something must have shorted out up there. First thing would be to see if you can see where the short is. If you cant see where the smoke is coming from you may have to remove the flywheel which can be a real bear. I dont know where you are located or how cold it is there. If you are in a freeze area I would at least drain and refill the lower unit with lower unit oil. Chryslers are cold blooded but if you are getting spark it should at least attempt to start. <br /><br />Take plugs out of cylinders. Stick a screw in one of the plug wires and place the screw about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from exposed metal on motor (dont use paint best to use something on motor with a good ground) have someone turn the key over (best to do this in a darker room) for a few cranks. Do you see a spark? check other wire the same way and see if you get a spark.

RayJ

Recruit

I have a 35 horse Chrysler electric start. The system that locks the motor down has come loose. Is it possible to reattach it? Can I do the job without some special equipment?