Chrysler 35 Shifting Problem

antksmit

Recruit
I have a 357ha (1971 I think) that recently developed a shifting problem. It has been fine for the year or so that i've had it, and out of nowhere the thing will barely shift into forward gear (before the throttle kicks in). Reverse was fine. I've been working on it for about 2 days now, and I can get it to where it shifts into either gear fine, but not the other. I have adjusted both the rod that comes from the control handle, and the shift rod that runs down into the lower unit. There really isn't a point where forward and reverse will BOTH shift like they're supposed to. I did remove the lower unit the other day, but I couldn't seem to get into the bottom of the lower unit (where the gears are housed). I wasn't sure of exactly how to get it off so I left it alone.<br />Is there some secret method to getting all of the adjustments like they're supposed to be? Could it be something in the lower unit that I couldn't see? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 35 Shifting Problem

First you should be working from a manual.You may find one at the library.My manual states The bent shift rod just above the pump should extend rear starboard approximately 28 degrees from the center line. The bend should clear the pump housing by approximately 1/16 of an inch when shifted to the lowest position.with the motor assembled mark the detent positions for F N R (near the cushion mount)below the turnbuckle .Adjust the turnbuckle so the positions are equal.Be sure all shift parts from lever down are sound and not loose or bent.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Even if you take the lower unit apart you will not see a problem or how it works. You might be able to see the shifting with the bearing cage off but I doubt it. If what steelspike mentions does not help I would set it toward the forward gear which is used 99 percent of the time. When you mention messing with it for two days are you refering to the 2 inch nut with the reverse threads in the motor leg? That is one screwy design. I bought a spare lower unit on ebay that had the same problem you mentioned. I went for almost a half season till I finally got the adjustment right. I used my trolling motor for reverse.

antksmit

Recruit

Well, I got the manual and took the lower unit back off yesterday, and everything looked good except for the seal that the shifting rod runs through. I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. But mechanically, everything seems sound. I put it back together last night and tried again - same results. Any chance this could be a cable issue? Euro, how did you finally get yours going?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It is at the extreme of my shifting. Seemed one day I adjusted the nut in the motor leg and it worked. If you have a slight kink in your cable this could be causing the problem. Be careful if you do get it to work. You want to make sure forward gear is fully engaged with no air gap between the clutch and forward gear dogs. If the gear is not fully engaged you run a greater risk of wearing the clutch and forward gear out.<br /><br />A couple of things you can try is mark the shifter for maximum shifting with cable attached to the motor and also check it with it disconnected. Also try maximum shift with lower unit attached and with it not attached. My guess is that there is not a lot of change you can make. If the design allowed you to go too far you would break the lower unit or at least the pivot pin. So the tolerance from forward to reverse will be tight. As I mentioned my old lower unit was easy to adjust however the one from ebay is a lot tougher. The biggest difference between the two is that the newest one is a long shaft converted to a short shaft. It could be your motor does not have the original lower unit and it finally went out of adjustment.<br /><br />When I adjust mine I use a 7/16 wrench (if memory serves me) and put shifer dead nuts in neutral I keep adjusting until I just barely hear no clicking sound by turning prop with finger. Then I have my daughter slowly advance the shifter forward and backwards till I feel it engage and have her stop so I can see where it ends up on the shifter. Then I make slight adjustments to try and hit both forward and reverse. If neutral dont line up perfect I adjust my neutral interlock switch so I can still start it.<br /><br />Good luck

antksmit

Recruit

Ok, I fixed the problem, and I figured I might as well post it here for anyone else who may run across it.<br /><br />My shifting cable was loose (i.e. moving all over the place when I'd move the shifting handle). I have a large bundle of wires running from front to back of my boat. This bundle includes my throttle and shifting cables, ignition wiring, etc. They have always stayed bound together, all the way back to the motor, until a few months ago when I cut all of the ties to re-wire the boat. I never took time to re-bundle and tie all of the cables, and I never noticed the movement of the shifting cable - probably because it's not easy to see unless you get inside the boat and watch. It was moving several inches when the shifting handle was moved. I zip-tied them back up, and now the thing shifts great. It gets into gear well before the throttle cable ever starts to move.<br /><br />Thanks for all of the suggestions!