85 hp force firing/ electrical problem

Darkes04

Recruit
conflict of year told it was 89 however due to parts think it is about 87, number 3 cylinder not firing changed wires from CDI box and fired from CDI box 1 not 2 replaces CDI box 2 and still have the same problem dont know what to check next??

HLamont

Recruit
Re: 85 hp force firing/ electrical problem

Hey:<br /><br />I am having a simular problem with my 1989 85hp Force engine. I get a quick fire from the second cylinder but no fire from the first and third cylinders. Everything was checked, stator and trigger assemblys, powerpacks, coils and wires. I am on the second mechanic and he said that he will correct the problem. The first mechanic installed a new stator assembly and that at least made the second cylinder make a quick fire. The mechanic that now has the boat is going to recheck the stator assembly because he thinks the first mechanic did not install the new stator assembly correctly. He ordered a new Force Shop manual for the information he needs to correct the problem (he told me not to ask where his old one is because he does not know). Will let you know the results because the information may help with your electrical problem.

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85 hp force firing/ electrical problem

I had the same problem with a 1986 - 85HP Force, I found that some of the wires from the CD boxes ( I had the crow foot connections ), were broken inside the wire insulation, I ended up replacing both CD boxes with CDI components & I replaced the Stator, as it started to have some bubbling on the coils ( after all these parts are 18-19 years old and prestolite electronic parts don't age well ) the trigger assembly realy doesn't go bad, so I didn't replace it, the boat has been running realy good since the electronics have been upgraded, oh you might want to have the spark plug coils checked out, if the internal electrial specs are out of spec, it will take out a CD box.