force 50 no fire on one wire

johnson1st

Cadet
I've been reading many topics, I just bought a Bayliner with a Force 50 on it. Planning on putting an older Johnson 40...but...the Force is probably at least 10 years newer,not to mention, it has tilt & trim where Johnson doesn't ... from model# 507Y9B, and what I've learned tonight, it must be an 89'...anyway, prev.owner says he had mech.put on new stator, coils etc. but after 10 min. on water, it started running on one cyl. and that's all I can get. any suggestions? p.s. on wiring board, 1&3 on one peg. 2&4 on another. I took 3&4 off, but no difference. And kill switch is locked... prev.owner said he had $2000 in repairs to this Force... If you think it's worth fixing, I'd rather have the 50, but also don't want to paddle a mile...thanks

sinker0422

Cadet
Re: force 50 no fire on one wire

I just went through the same thing. Bought an older Bayliner with a Force 50. Only one cylinder had spark. Turns out it had a bad condenser. I picked one up for about $25. Here's what I did. Basically, I just checked the ignition system...starting with the spark plug and working my way back. Switch the plug wires and check for spark. If no change, check the wires going to the back of the ignition coils. I tested mine with a light tester I picked up at the auto parts store for about $3. You should be getting power to each coil. If you DO have power going TO each coil, switch the coils around and see if you get a spark to the other cylinder. If so, sounds like you have a bad coil. If you are not getting power TO one of the coils, check the wires. Just trace them from the back of the coils all the way up to the top of the motor to make sure there are no frayed/broken wires. If they look good, the next step is to remove the Flywheel. You can read other posts to find out how to do that. You will need a flywheel, steering wheel, or harmonic balancer puller and an impact wrench, though. The points and condensers should be under the flywheel. From there, you're on your own. I don't know if there's a way to test a condenser or point. You could switch them around and see if the firing cylinder changes, but then again, if you're going through the trouble of removing the flywheel, you may as well replace the points and condensers, anyway. Good luck. As for keeping the Force 50, I just got mine, so I don't know about the dependability. However, it seems like a primitive setup...which is good for the do-it-yourselfer.

johnson1st

Cadet

sinker0422,<br />heh thanks for the reply, and ideas, I'll try them out this weekend. Apparently parts are still available...thanks again, and I'll let you know what happens.

sinker0422

Cadet

yeah, lemme know how it works out. 1 more thing...if you end up taking the flywheel off, make sure you tighten the nut really well when putting it back on...otherwise, you'll be ordering a new flywheel key. I learned this from experience.

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Your 89 Force does NOT have the breaker/points system! It has a simple electronic ignition. Check for loose wires/broken wires. Its amazing what a simple bad connection can do.

johnson1st

Cadet

well, after a disappointing evening in the shed, while looking for loose wires (didn't find any),and you're right, no points, electronic,<br />so I thought I'd check compression...bad news,<br />outboard looks good, but #1 has 25#, and #2 has 10#...I guess I have a junk outboard, and need to find away to change over to my Johnson 40...thanks to all for the info, but I guess no since in trying to get this one going....

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Hey J1st. It could be just a bad headgasket. ON that engine its not that difficult to change. However you wouldnt know the exact status unless you pulled the head off. I have the same yr/hp so that is why I knew it was electronic ign. If all esle fails you could part it out and sell on ebay. Good Luck!

johnson1st

Cadet

boatnsd,<br />thanks for the info, I was just on the way out to take motor off boat. I'll take the head off, though not sure how you tell if it's bad, unless it has missing spot. oh well, it may show bad cylinders too, if I see scoring, then I can say I'm done...right. thanks again...

johnson1st

Cadet

boatnsd,<br />thought I'd let you know what I found. Took head off, and found bottom cylinder with piece of top of piston junk broke off, top ring bent up, and cylinder wall scored...I'm done with it. Took it off the boat. thanks to all with replies and ideas.