Starting cold 1991 90 HP Force

Todd Vary

Recruit
I have gleaned this info from this forum and I'm asking for confirmation regarding this proceedure.<br />Cold starting 1991 90HP Force:<br /><br />1)pump the fuel line bulb (until it is hard) before attempting to start<br /><br />2)independant throttle control when in neutral-open the throttle about half way <br /><br />3)electrically actuated choke- turn the key on, then push in for about 3 seconds then release, then turn the key to start."<br /><br />possible problems preventing - start up<br /><br />1-fuel pump needs a new diaphram<br />if the diaphram is bad, it leaks fuel into the block and causes it to flood<br />2-check that all cylinders are getting spark<br />3-plugged fuel filters<br />4-clean up the carbs<br />5-The Stator will work...or it will not work.<br /><br />Does this info sound correct?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting cold 1991 90 HP Force

3)- choke, Believe your motor has an actual choke. Push in key while attempting to start it. Later models had a fuel enrichment valve.<br /><br />possible problems preventing start up-<br />There are many.<br />3 main causes:<br />No fuel to cylinder<br />No spark <br />Lack of compression.<br />Many things fall under each of these.<br />Checking for fuel, spark, and compression are the first 3 things to check in an effort to diagnose the source of the problem.<br /><br />Stator will work... or it will not.- Not necessarily. Bad/broken wire or missing insulation may cause grounding, making the problem intermitant. And the ignition system is made up of many components besides the stator.<br /><br />Are you having trouble starting the Force?

Todd Vary

Recruit

I've had some minor issues starting this 1991 <br />90 HP Force -Cold.I haven't been pushing the key in while I start the motor. I have placed the throttle in the neutral postion - 1/2 open.<br />I pump the fuel line bulb up.<br /><br />I did not realize the differnce between Electrically actuated choke and the fuel enrichment valve. I need to research this difference so I understand how it works better.<br />I guess I will be investing in a Operator and Maintenance manual <br /><br />The post by EBG (mem 37252) 09 Feb 2004 with corresponding replys has me asking what type of fuel feed system I have on this O.B.<br /><br />Thanks for your help

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A system with the fuel enrichment valve has a small solenoid actuated valve assembly located below the carb. It has a fuel supply line attached (from the carb bowl), and a fuel line that feeds directly into the manifold behind the carb.<br /><br />With the conventional choke, the key must be held in while cranking to have any effect. With the enrichment valve, some fuel will be pushed into the manifold when the key is pushed, but most motors need you to hold the key in while cranking.<br /><br />In 1991, your motor was made with both systems, depending on the model and serial number. There also were motors made with different fuel pumps, a round 2 stage pump, and a square pump.<br /><br />Here is a picture of a carb with the conventional choke. Notice it has a throttle shutter (#24), and a choke shutter (#6).<br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...98/23.png&inbr=1365&bnbr=100&bdesc=CARBURETOR <br /><br /><br />Here is a picture of the carb that is used with the fuel enrichment system. Notice it only has a throttle shutter (#4), but no choke shutter.<br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...468&bnbr=14&bdesc=CARBURETOR+E009500,+E093699 <br /><br />Not a very good picture, but #23 is the enrichment valve (solenoid primer) <br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...LATE+AND+RECIRCULATION+SYSTEM+E065372,E093699