1998 Force 120 Rough running at time and electrical issues

mcm_bosco

Recruit
I just bought a 1998 Force on a 20' Fisher Deck Boat. It ran great when we tested the boat. When we took it out for the first time I noticed a minor skip now that we have used the boat a few times it has turned into a major cutting out when it cuts out the guages flicker and dim almost go out at times. The last time we used the boat the entire electrical system went down. It had on response at all to turning the key. After an hour of using the trolling motor trying to get back to the ramp I took the motor cover off to check for loose connections. When I took the cover off we tried one more time and it cranked. I did not touch anything. It has been doing that since. When it goes dead I can jump out he starter relay it will start and work until the next time. The gauges still act up and it still runs rough. Where do I start. I plan on taking it to a boat shop but I would like to be informed about the possibilities. Thanks

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1998 Force 120 Rough running at time and electrical issues

I have a slightly older Force 125 and I noticed guages doing funny things. Actually, mine would not run much above idle when it got really bad. Turned out, a wire was pinched behind the power pack and from the vibration had rubbed off the insulation and was grounding against the engine block. A little shrink wrap on the wire and I was good to go.<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Jeff

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mcm bosco, check all the wires in the motor and behind the helm. sounds like you have a loose ground or power wire. possibly corrosion. sometimes just looking isn't enough, you have to remove wires (one at a time) and clean the contact points.

Richym01

Cadet

I had a similar problem with my Force 90. It was corrosion on the connections. Best thing to do is remove them one by one and clean them all. I would try doing this before taking it to a boat repair shop.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe the ing.switch ele.problems headache.its just a thought.maybe try by passing the ing. switch