1985 force 125 power loss checklist

fmf

Cadet
I am new here and new to boat engine repair. I have searched the site for an answer to my problem and come up with a list of items to check in order of easiest/cheapest to do. I would like to post my issue and see if there is a better recomendation or different order to my checklist. I am by no means mechanically inclined when it comes to motors but I do have some friends who are.<br />Problem: Purchased 85 Bayliner w/ 85 125 force in 2004. Have run the boat 4-5 times a week all this summer pulling wakeboarders, skiers etc. yesterday morning boat ran fine, last evening took the boat out for a run... after 2 mins of open throttle rpms dropped from 6k to 3k (not really sure my tach is operating OK- always shows 6K at 3/4 to full) and just stayed there. was able to limp back to dock at 5 mph.The change in RPM was smooth, like I had throttled back. At dock cleaned and checked plugs, nothing out of the ordinary. Boat fired right up after 2 mins of running on lake again same thing happened.<br />Here is my list of options:<br />Check fuel filter<br />Check for loose wires on motor<br />(already checked plugs/wires)<br />Check fuel lines? :confused: <br />Check Air intake for gas tank?(not sure where that is) :confused: <br />Compression check- friend says he can do for me<br />Check carbs for build-up/clogging?<br />Replace Stator?<br />Please advise if this is correct order or I am missing something. Thank you in advance.

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 force 125 power loss checklist

fmf,<br /><br />I have the same boat / motor, just a year older. I recently had exactly the same issue.<br /><br />Turned out to be two issues. <br /><br />1.I had some contaminated fuel. I switched to an external fuel tank which solved that problem.<br /><br />2.I found a pinched wire behind the power pack. From years of rubbing, the wire had become bare and was arching against the block. I realized after the fact that my volt meter was reading too high as a side effect of the arching wire.<br /><br />I also rebuilt the fuel pump, but that was not the real cause.<br /><br />First do a compression check and a spark check. Make sure the basics are correct. Then I would look at fuel and finally electrical.<br /><br /><br />Let me know if I can help.<br /><br />Jeff

fmf

Cadet

Jeff,<br />Thanks for the insight.<br />Is there anything to put in the fuel tank to offset the contamination if it's something like water? or should i just drain it and start over?<br />I am going to check for loose wires next, I do not have a manual for the engine yet, can you tell me what the power pack looks like? Sorry I have never had a problem till now and I have been lazy about getting a manual. thanks for the help.<br />Fred

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You can buy a three gallon plastic gas tank from walmart for under 20 bucks. You will need a force nipple on it and a new primer bulb and hose. The total cost would be 40 bucks however you can use fresh gas in it for troubleshooting. If it runs good on the external tank then you have fuel contamination. If external fuel tank does not improve your condition you should continue to troubleshoot with the external tank until motor is fixed. After motor is fixed you can determine the best thing to do with the fuel in your main tank.<br /><br />When your friend does the compression test make sure he pulls all plugs out when testing. Also the plugs should be grounded with the plug wires attached to prevent damaging the ignition system. Take one of the carb bowls off and see what the fuel inside it looks like. If you see grit you have fuel problems. If so I would rebuild the fuel pump and then test it again. Fuel pump rebuild is under 10 dollars and easy to do.

saint24

Recruit

Please Im new at this site and need help with a question. My force 125hp when out of the water with the ears the propeller seems to slip a bit i didnt know it was a problemwhe i put the boat on the water and what happen was everytime i put the gear in forward or reverse the engine shuts off i couldnt get out from the dock ..very frustrating since everytime the boat is outsise the water i shift the gears and it wont shut off. thank you

saint24

Recruit

thnks for the comments everybody.. I have test the coils with a spark tester indeed out of the pack of four coils, two of them are not working properly ( the first one and the last one). any idea where can i buy them ? could this issue be the cause of engine shutting off in the water when i shift from neutral to forward? why is not shutting off outside the water when doing the same?

Last edited:

2902ao

Cadet

Hello,

I've got a 1987 125 Force. Make sure when the engine bogs down that the primer bulb is not flat.....if it is, you have a restriction somewhere....the pickup tube in the tank may be plugged, or something simple like that......

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you have questions about YOUR boat then start your own thread.
If you loose spark on 1 and 4 then I'd guess a stator.You need to test the equipment with a meter.Get a manual and a meter.
You need to do the basics FIRST. Compression then spark then fuel.
Work your way through each step.J

saint24

Recruit

My apologies commander Jerry. I notice the indeed i dont have sparks in #1 and # 4 but engine only shuts down inside the water no when the engine has the ears on with the hose, Compression is good I even when switch gears back and forward and give gas engine still running loud and clear. very neat sound but when i put the boat on water engine just keep shutting off when i engage the gear while in neutral is running good. My apologies again but i was trying to post my thread but the following message comes out :

saint24, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

"Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation "