'69 Chrysler 45 hp... lower unit gasket Q's

BF

Lieutenant
Hiya,<br /><br />it might be a '67, I've forgotten... anyway, I need a new set of vent/fill screw gaskets and also a gasket for that philips screw (the shifter pivot screw?) that's above and in front of the fill/drain screw. Is there anything funny size-wize about those? Is the one on the pivot screw normally a rubber 0-ring instead of a flat washer type gasket? I read old posts that described how, if I am careful, I should be able to pull the pivot screw, slip a new gasket on, and then re-install... I realize that any movement of the the shifter linkages could mean having to open the LU, so I'll try to do it carefully.<br /><br />F-I-L's motor has, for a couple decades, had hunks of scavanged rubber (inner tube?) acting as these gaskets... now that I'm using the boat, I figure I'll treat it to some long overdue TLC. It leaks a bit of water in the LU, but surprizingly little considering the "gaskets". (a teaspoon full or so over the season... seems to be just enough to turn the oil milky). Anyway, the motor is out of town, so I don't have the luxury of having it in front of me. Maybe some of my standard OMC fill/drain gaskets are the same?<br /><br />Are any parts for these old chyslers available at a dealership? (maybe merc?) I'm thinking that after 35 years, maybe I should change the impeller while I'm at it ;) <br /><br />thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: '69 Chrysler 45 hp... lower unit gasket Q's

The parts on this link are from a 74 45HP chrysler lower unit which will work for your unit. You can either order the parts from them or copy the part numbers down and get them from your merc dealer<br /> lower unit link

BF

Lieutenant

great link, thanks!!<br /><br />took you a whole 5 min's... try to pick it up a bit next time :)

FABIO G.

Recruit

I Have 8hp Seaking By Chrysler
I Change Lower Shaft Seal Plus The Oring And Still I Oil Mix Whit Water
I Don't Get Oil Out From The Small Lower Hole
Which Gasghet Or Seal I Should Have To Change Is Suppose I Remove The Lower Unit?