Force 125 cd box kill wire

Randy Parish

Cadet
Can anyone tell me what color wire is the kill<br />wire on Prestolite sys.Its on 1988 125...Have replaced cd box for no.3&4 cyl.and no.3 still<br />will not fire.Swapped box from no.1 to 3 and it<br />fires.Changed coil still no Fire.In Seloc manual<br />it says to unplug kill wire from other cd box and<br />if it fires the blocking dio.is bad in other box.<br />Is the wire going to the box with plug on it the <br />kill wire....My wiring is term.block on engine,<br />only plug in wire is wire to coil????<br />Need any info i can get...Randy

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 125 cd box kill wire

did u make sure taht ur ground is good? double check all wiring?

Randy Parish

Cadet

Will bad ground stop fire on just one Coil????<br /><br />Randy

Randy Parish

Cadet

I know bad ground would stop fire,but no.4 is firing strong as is other 2-cyls.????

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Welcome to Force ignition 101. 9 out of 10 the stator under the flywheel is bad. A KNOWN problem (yes, mine smoked too, along with one CD box). Take the good CD box, (watch your connections!), and 2 good coils, Hook those up to 3-4 cylinders. Give it a test. #3 still bad, the Stator/Trigger is junk. Look Seloc page 5-54. Kill switch wires should be black (Seloc 6-2 6-3 has pix). Remember theses are expensive parts

Randy Parish

Cadet

Thanks a lot i am down to that now,the boat was<br />gave to me and already have the all the spare parts<br />to swap out everything, just did-not want to keep shooting<br />holes in the boat?>>,<br /><br />Great info........<br />Randy

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Also known to snap driveshafts (one piece, went to 2 piece in 90 or so I think) up at the top where it slides into the powerhead (corrosion)Look around ebay or ? for a spare if you plan to keep it, and a good idea to pull the lower and check. Easy on the throttle up if is a rusty mess where it tapers down and then goes into splines. Not hard to replace, just need a new crush washer, and some seals. Good luck.

Randy Parish

Cadet

I have been out in the boat before i got it.The<br />man that owned it had nothing but trouble out of it running.He had so called boat mechanic work on<br /> it and never got it right,so he said take it and<br />i did.When i took it checked comp.150# on all cyl.<br />But was not firing to No.3 and now it is down to<br />trigger and stator...I am going to replace water<br />pump impeller and seals, no water in lower unit.<br />As it stands i have $ 36.00 in the boat so i think<br />i am not hurt Yet?><<br />Thanks for info...<br />Randy

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Randy Parish:<br /> down to<br />trigger and stator...I am going to replace water<br />pump impeller and seals, no water in lower unit.<br />As it stands i have $ 36.00 in the boat so i think i am not hurt Yet?><<br />Thanks for info...Randy [/QB]
You are doing fine. The Force got a bad rap for those Ing problems, which are fixable. Did mine (along with a knowledgeable mechanic), and zero problems since. All parts you can get through a Merc dealer, or bayliner dealer. Good luck

Rotti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Funny- heres my story:<br />Got this Force (125hp, 1988) from a guy in Maryland and exported it to Germany. He said the motor had hardly been broken in and that it had never seen any saltwater.<br />The motor looks like that, no corrosion nowhere. 3 days ago I got it down from its shipping crate and started setting it up in a test tank. First check was compression which was excellent, 150 psi on all holes equally. Next step was taking off the carbs, taking them apart and throwing everything in the ultrasonic. Good. First testrun- lousy. Maybe just one cylinder choked every now and then..... Checked the wiring on the terminal where all the ignition wires are connected together and found two broken ones! Fixed it and checked spark on all four plugs- sparks were strong and good. Tried to start up the engine again and it ran but only on the lower two cylinders. Ok, re-checked the upper carb and it turned out that the main jet was clogged again from old oil that had still been in the carb. Cleaned that too and re-installed the carb. Checked the electrical choke- both carbs are leaking with gas out of their front now when I apply choke too long- good. Tried again to start the engine- NOTHING!!!! Absolutly nothing?! Re-checked the spark- nothing, no more spark on any plug, what the f...?!<br />Isnt this something? How could I have destroyed something on the ignition when I didnt even fool with it? Any idea? As I look on it, ignition module for cyl.1 and 2 is absolutly separated from ignition module for cyl. 3 and 4 so how could both go bad in the same moment? Well, today Ive checked all the coils separatly with an resistance- meter:<br />All 4 ignition coils read between 45.7 and 47.1 ohms. Both charging coils read 700 ohms. I only have a manual where they describe how to check ignition system with a testbox which I dont have.<br /><br />- Does anyone know the correct resistance value (ohm) for the coils?<br />- Does anyone have a copy of a good electrical schematic of this engine? The only one I have is from a schematics-book that covers all kinds of brands and years up to 1989, but the quality is lousy and its very hard even to figure out which cable has which colour.....<br />- Does anyone have the slightest idea what may have happened?<br /><br />The only thing both ignition systems have in common is the white kill-wire which has to be grounded when you want to stop the engine. Ive disconnected that too but couldnt start the engine.<br /><br />- Can plugs foul all of a sudden?<br />- In the worst case: Are those ignition moduls interchangeable between all Force engines? I want to go for used ones, thats why. Or are there aftermarket parts or ignition moduls from other engines that would fit or which are better?<br /><br />Any hints or advice would be really welcome since I dont have anybody over here whom I could ask. I want to get this motor back to work because mechanically its an excellent engine, never had one which was used that little.......<br /><br />Greetings from overseas,<br />Wolfgang

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Rotti, start a new topic with a separate post of your problems

Rotti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Robby6950-<br />did just that! Hopefully I get some answers that way......