Chrysler crankcase gasket

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I split the crankcase of an early eighties 30 hp Chrysler recently, and found that the mating rims of both halves had a worm-like groove cut in each half, and within this channel lays a red rubber-like and rope-like "gasket". Are these type gaskets still available, and how do you lay one down? Do you make one long continuous piece, and if so, how do you mate the ends? Is there anything you can use to keep the whole thing in place until you mate the halves of the crankcase? (Vaseline?) Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler crankcase gasket

So that is what that is for. I bought a gasket kit for my chyrsler and there was a long red gasket in the kit. I think I still have it if you want it. I would try using a little permatex to hold it in place. Make sure it is non hardening permatex.

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Euro,<br /> Glad to hear from you. Yes, the crankcase gasket is apparently a rope of rubber. I just cant figure out how it would be installed. How could the ends mate and keep an air/pressure seal?<br /> Where did you order the gasket kit from?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I got it here<br /> Gasket set 18-4314 <br />the piece you are refering to is the string going around the upper, left and bottom of the picture of the gasket set.<br /><br />I just went and looked in my garage. I must have tossed it because it isnt with my gasket kits. Sorry.