75hp Chrysler Head Gasket

djhurt1

Cadet
I posted this question the other night but I guess something went wrong so I'm trying again. We have water coming out of the top cylinder on our engine. We assumed we need to replace the gasket. There is two gaskets it looks like. One between the head and outer cover. One between the head and engine. Should I expect to replace both? Does anyone know of a dealer locator type of thing on the web for someone in my area for parts? I don't want to call everyone boat shop up if I don't have to :) <br />One more question. This is a 1975 boat and it is showing some wear in the fiberglass. The hull has some minor gouges. There are cracks in places like the corners and such throughout the boat. Is this repairable? <br />Great forum and thanks for any input.<br />Aaron

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 75hp Chrysler Head Gasket

Head gasket is still available through any Mercury dealer. You can also order it from www.fairwindsmarina.com. They specialize in old Chrysler stuff. You will need your model & serial # when ordering the gasket. Cost is around $40.00. If your engine overheated, most likely you will need to get the head planed as well.

djhurt1

Cadet

Where would I look for the serial number? I cannot find anything on the engine itself. There are two badges on the back corner which appear to be serial numbers. Maybe one for the boat and one for the motor?<br />Aaron

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

My serial number is in front of the powerhead right under the carbs on a little metal tag.

djhurt1

Cadet

Ok, got the gasket. The guy at the shop said 70 hedge?? pounds. What's that? Is that the same as foot pounds? Also, can anyone recommend the correct order to tighten down the bolts?<br />Aaron

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Book says 270 inch pounds for Cylinder head bolts. Hard to describe the tightening order.

djhurt1

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully, my family and I can enjoy a couple of weekends of boating before summers over :) <br />Aaron