Chrysler 105 charging system

Seaman
Well, I finally got my outboard to pump water, and it seems to be running very well. However, the battery does not seem to be charging. The purple wire in the harness that goes to the front is not hooked up to anything, and has 5-7 volts on it w/motor running. Is this for a volt or amp gauge, and does it need to be hooked up to get the system to charge? How much should it charge? I would think it would need 13-14 like a car to keep everything working. Thanks in advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Chrysler 105 charging system

The purple wire is a extra wire and needs to be taped off, ring test the 2 wires that go to the stator if you have continuite and the system is not charging, then you have a bad voltage reg. or rectifier, could be either one depending on the year

Seaman
Re: Chrysler 105 charging system

I checked it last night and found that I do have good cont on two wires that go to stator...008 ohms. If I had 5 volts on the front wire to the finned three wire thing, that had the purple wire to it, then maybe that piece is bad. It is a 1969 modle. I'm not sure which is the reg and which is the rect...the part behind has batt vlt to it, but nothing from it to the front piece. Can I jump two wires to make it full charge just to see if it will charge at all?