1986 Force 85 HP loss of power

Sulty01

Recruit
The motor starts first time, sounds like it is idleing fine at the dock on all cylinders. When I take it out the most power I can get out of it is 1/2 even when the throttle is full. I have replaced the fuel line from the tank to the engine; checked the fuel filter and it is OK. I have noticed that the electronic ignition Board where the 3 spark wires come from is very loose and it is supposed to be held in place by like 3 bolts that bolt into a rubber insulator that is tight against the engine. Does anyone know if this problem could cause loss of power?<br />I would not think so. My plugs look fine, no fowling. although I should probably buy new ones (NGK BUCHX). Maybe my fuel tank is not venting. Did not check that. If anyone has had this problem let me know. <br /><br />Docbumper

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Force 85 HP loss of power

First do a spark and compression test.Then check the fuel pump diaphram.Then check the reeds and check the linkage to make sure the butterflys all open simultaneously and open all the way.J

john from md

Commander

We need some additional info.

What was your WOT rpm and speed?

What is the maintenance history on the engine?

What kind of boat is it on and how many people were in it?

What size prop is on it?

John

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same problem in my 85 force...turns out there was a huge hole in the lower piston. Had to buy another used powerhead because it was scored so bad. Do a compression test first and work from there.