1985 Force 85 HP Temp Buzzer

USNAVYMM2

Cadet
My temp buzzer started to sound after I replaced the CD Power Pack. Before replacing the power pack, the Buzzer never sounded during engine start up or at any speed. Then it began to alarm at 30 MPH. After slowing down, it then began to alarm @ 20 MPH. Loaded it up and went home. I replaced water pump impellar with kit(old pump wear plate pretty worn & gouged)and installed new thermostat. Haven't started the motor yet, as I am hoping for any other suggestions before adding gear lube and dropping in water. Anyone know how to test for defective buzzer?

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Force 85 HP Temp Buzzer

The buzzer is still good if it is going off. The sending unit that grounds it can go bad. It should be located at the other end of your orange wire beside the thermostat. I think you already fixed your problem though. I would give it a test run.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check for a blown head gasket. My 75hp did the same thing. Your buzzer is most likely good to go.

USNAVYMM2

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Checked for blown head gasket and it's ok. Just finished installing new t-stat, filled gear oil and fired the motor in the driveway. The water temp was right on the money and had great flow. No buzzer @ high idle for 15 minutes. Seems ready to go for the holiday!

johnny_5

Recruit

can someone tell me where the thermostat is located..? i have same motor/problem, water too hot to touch,, any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

johnny_5

Recruit
Re: 1985 Force 85 HP thermostat....

Re: 1985 Force 85 HP thermostat....

any pic's would help also, as im missing the throttle connector at the carbs

isnms

Seaman

Thermostat is in the rectangle box at the top back of the motor.