85 hp force wont start cold

thrumper

Cadet
on tht first start of the day it wont start<br />ether or a spritz of gas and it will start right up once it is started it will start on a dime for the rest of the day. Carbs have been cleaned.hoses and balls changed,pump rebuilt,choke working properlyand been readjusted to specs. a hand over the center carb while trying will get it started also.compression over 100. what else can i do? would the reed valves have anything to do with it? Help me i wanna go fishing.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 hp force wont start cold

Hello thrumper and welcome to Iboats. Have you tried choking the motor? This is done by pushing the key in for a few seconds then turning the key to start while pushing it in. The choke is electronic and you should hear a click when you push the key in.

Realgun

Commander

As Euro stated you hold the key in while starting motor. most people just push it in then let it out thinking they are choking it, then try starting it.

thrumper

Cadet

yes i know HOW TO OPERATE THE CHOKE AND IT IS OPERATING PROPERLY

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

A little more information might have helped. Alot of new force and chrysler owners are not aware of the choking procedure of the motor. When you engage the choke do you hear the solinoid click and does the choke butterfly open. Also we respond better to lower case replies.

thrumper

Cadet

yes choke is working properly engagingin with key pushed in until released.adjusted so slight drag on peice of paper when engaged .have had the boat and motor since new in about 86.had a chrysler before that

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I have read in the threads here on iboats about a fuel enrichment device incorporated in the choke on some force motors. Maybe the problem is there. I doubt reeds because even with starting fluid the motor would not fire.<br /><br />When you rebuilt your fuel pump did you replace the three fuel valves and gaskets? Parts 23 and 24 on the following link<br /> FORCE FUEL PUMP

thrumper

Cadet

i took them out and they were cleaned dried and working properly prior to reassembly.i am a mechanic used to working on regular motors but this little motor is driving me crazy

Dustyw

Recruit

I just bought a bayliner with an 1987 85 hp force I had the same problem with my motor. The only difference was my choke was blowing the fuse.<br />I checked everything but the choke cyllanoid(probably spelled wrong). I finally took a piece of plexi glass covered the air intake over the carbs and the motor fired first crank. So I then knew it was a choking problem I discovered choke was not completely closing. I pulled the cyllanoid off and it had some build up inside it. This was not allowing the choke to close all the way. I put a new cyllanoid on it for $30 and I have not had a problem since.