Chrysler 70hp shifting

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chrysler 70hp shifting

Did you check the cotter pin to make sure that it hadnt fallen out?

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you shift it into gear manually?

ricksrster

Commander

Everything is i place and I replaced the cables. I can't shift it manually.

ricksrster

Commander

With the shift cable disconnected, Should I be able to shift it manually while turning the fly wheel or the prop?

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rickstr, we will be more able to help you if you include more information, history, model, ear etc. Did it work before you replaced the cables?

ricksrster

Commander

It did not work before I replaced the cables. I was told it worked 2 years ago. Model 707HF Serial No. 17218.

ricksrster

Commander

I believe it is a 1970. It has sat for two years. I put the boat in the lake. It started fine, but wouldn't shift forward or reverse. That's why I changed the cables. The control works fine.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate to sound elementary on this, but can you shift it into gear manually while the motor is off? If so, you probably have a problem with the clutch dog and /or gear faces being worn. If you cannot shift it into gear manually with the motor off (and turning the prop), then you may have a problem with the shift rod having come loose in the lower unit, or your pinion gear is not engaging the forward or reverse gear. You probably need to remove the lower unit and examine it for these two conditions

ricksrster

Commander

Thank you. I'm going to have someone look at it. There are a couple mechanics in the area.