what color is the tach wire ..93 force 90 hp

bobrock

Seaman
my book says grey but the grey wire from the trigger goeas to the voltage regulator so it seems .... i have an unused purple wire from the trigger is that it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what color is the tach wire ..93 force 90 hp

Force topic.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Two yellows should come out of the stator and go to the rectifier.<br />A red and a grey should come out of the rectifier.<br /><br />The grey one is what you want.<br />Follow it to the terminal strip on the side of the motor.<br />It may connect to another grey wire or a purple wire at the terminal strip, before it enters the wiring harness to the helm.<br />Look for this wire at the helm end of the harness.

Realgun

Commander

roscoe that purple wire is the tach wire. It says so on my engine. I bought a 20 pole tach and hooked it up to the purple wire. Guess what? It works!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm. <br />Well, then something is messed up with my manuals.<br /><br />Yes Realgun, on your 1988 85hp Prestolite ignition, the wire is purple, from the rectifier to the harness to the helm.<br /><br />bobrock, This is a 1993 90hp with the Thunderbolt ignition, right?<br />My manuals seloc, Clymer, and OEM, show all 4 wires from the trigger going into the switchbox, brown; white; violet; white/black. My motor is set up this way.<br /><br />Like I said above, it may be purple or grey at the helm end of the wiring harness, but should be grey on the engine, and coming from the rectifier.