Dead Force 85

jfnewell1965

Cadet
Howdy,<br /><br />I have a 1985 Force 85. Rebuilt 4 years ago by previous owner.<br /><br />120 PSI in Cyl #1<br />100 PSI in Cyl #2<br />0 PSI in Cyl #3<br /><br />Water on all three spark plugs.<br /><br />Had a sneaky feeling it was over heating. Checked impeller, it is good. Checked thermostat, it is good. Forced hose water down hole where thermostat goes, and that makes water leak out around the head of the bolts for exhaust manifold.<br /><br />Oddly, the thing starts incredibly easy.<br /><br />Feeling a bit low. Any one have light for the end of my tunnel?<br /><br />Jim

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dead Force 85

Time to pull the head, and pray it is just the gasket.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"Any one have light for the end of my tunnel?"<br /><br />I hope it is a cheap and easy fix.<br />Has this motor been run in saltwater?

pigster30

Cadet

I have a Force 120, had water in the bottom 2 cylinders. Pulled the head off and replaced the gasket, that didn't seem to help. I eventually pulled the engine out and removed the exhuast manifold, low and behold that gasket was shot to hell and back. Sounds like the water is getting into your cylinders thru the exhuast. I would pull the head off as well and replace that gasket as well. YOu can get both gaskets on line for about $40 apiece at the mercruiser web site.

jfnewell1965

Cadet

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Has this motor been run in saltwater?
It has been run in saltwater in the past, but I personally have only had it in fresh.

jfnewell1965

Cadet

Originally posted by pigster30:<br /> low and behold that gasket was shot to hell and back. Sounds like the water is getting into your cylinders thru the exhuast.
I thought since water leaked around the bolt on the exhaust, that this might be so, but does that account for the low (non-exsistant) compression on #3 ?