125 force L drive spark plug question

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
when i removed the plugs on my L drive i noticed they arnt actual "plugs" they dont have anything that would create a spark, i was wondering what kind of system this is and how to go about trouble shooting it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 force L drive spark plug question

I guess you have the "gapless" plugs.<br />They have a metal ring around the outside, and a small post (electrode) in the center. The post is only about 1/64" tall.<br />The spark jumps from the post to the outer ring.<br />Some people don't like them.<br />I do like them, easy to clean, no gapping, etc.<br />When the center post is worn down even with the insulator, it is time to replace them. <br /><br />Warning, some places are charging $12-$15 a piece for them.<br />But you can get them for $4 at a Mercury dealer, or online.

peacekeeper6

hum, i will have to check that, i dont know about an outer ring let me go pull them and see what going on, and you say these plugs can go bad?

peacekeeper6

yea i see the post on these plugs, would the plugs be causing my no spark at the plugs problem?

peacekeeper6

the post is very very small though so maybe its worn? its not at the insulation but it isnt that far off it.