chrysler 45 steering probs

nedkell

Cadet
hi all<br />i have a 45 hp chrysler i am new to boating and need some advice <br />the steering is really stiff i have checked the cables by disconecting them and they seem to move fine when disconected can anyone help

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: chrysler 45 steering probs

When you disconnect the pin from the motor to the steering will the motor turn freely?

nedkell

Cadet

thanks for reply <br />no the motor does not turn freely when steering disconected

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at your motor where the swivel mechanism is- should have grease fittings somewhere you need to grease em with a grease gun until grease come out

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If fresh greese wont get in there you may want to try kerosene. The old greese in there may be hard or lack of greese has caused it to seize up. If you can get kerosene in there to loosen it up work all the old greese out and then add fresh. I doubt you are going to find a replacement part for where it swivels. If the greese zerk is good try penetrating oil like WD 40 or pb blaster and work it in there real good. With the steering cable disconnected the motor should swivel by the tip of a finger and move real easy.

nedkell

Cadet

have just done sa sugested i found grease point did not seem to take much before grease started coming out. Dont know what kerosene is or where to get it would it be similar to parafin<br />have sprayed in loads of wd 40 to every joint<br />very little diference<br />to move motor with steering disconected it takes both arms full strength is there a way to take apart .

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try removing the grease fitting and spraying as much wd40 directly into the opening as possible. Also spray liberally at the top part of the swivel and allow it to soak downward while moving the motor back and forth. Sounds like you have a really bad corrosion problem.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

There are two swivel points on that motor. One is just below the power head near the kingpin and the other is located just above where the lower unit separates from the motor. I believe the lower swivel point can be accessed by removing six screws which should have hex heads. My guess if greese is getting in something is worn. What is the year and model number of this motor. The model number should be somewhere under the carb. I have some blowups of my 67 45 hp chrysler if you want me to send them email me at ralgoetz@comcast.net<br /><br />Also has this motor been in salt water? IF so chances are good the corrosion is at the swivel near the lower unit

nedkell

Cadet

hello have looked at removeing grease point but it looks like it is rounded there is not a nut type of thing on it<br />my model number is 457h06<br />it has been used in salt water<br />my e mail is nedkell@aol.com<br />thanks

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That old of a motor and used in saltwater -- probably means major corrosion inside those joints-

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I cant find that motor on any reference chart. MY guess is the last diget is a letter and not a number. A 457HOL is a 1980 model and my guess is yours is probably around that year.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worst case scenario - remove the lower motor mount and try to clean the pivot shaft by hand. Since it has been in salt water, you should be ready for those hex headed bolts to be EXTREMELY hard to get out. Soak them liberally in pentrating fluid before you put a wrench on them. I had to drill the head of one out and take the mount to a machine shop to get hem to remove the old blot.

nedkell

Cadet

have now done as sugested i have removed the lower mount casing exsposing the bottom part of the pivot shaft but it does not seem to be where the problem is it seems to be above what should i do next

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

To get at the other pivot braket you are going to need a service manual. It is pretty complicated and would be impossible to explain without the illustration in the manual.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

IF the ebay thing dont work try www.chryslercrew.com and see if you can download a manual from them. Being in england makes it harder to find suppliers of manuals. I have some information I can send you that might be of help. ralgoetz@comcast.net

nedkell

Cadet

have downloaded manual as advised it is the chrysler workshop manual hope its the right one it is for chrysler 35 45 1980 model<br />i know this sounds a bit dumb but what should i do next

nedkell

Cadet

any advice would be welcome i was hoping i might have this sorted for the childrens summer hollidays summer does not last to long in england

gary345678910

Recruit

Nedkell,<br /><br />I was just wondering if you had any luck with your engine, what you did and how long the procedure took. I've got a very similar problem with my 1979 Mercury 70hp and it's looking like I've got to take the powerhead off in order to remove and smooth down a corroded swivel pin and whatever else is wrong in there! If anyone else has any experience or advice that would be most welcome :eek: )