my 1997 Force 120 engine block is cracked... :(

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice
i guess i need a new engine to replace it. i had absolutely no idea. i saw a 2000 130HP suzuki on iboats. never heard of suzuki making engines. <br />how are they??<br /><br />THIS SUCKS!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: my 1997 Force 120 engine block is cracked... :(

Engine should be fine, but check around to see if you will be able to get it serviced locally.

phatmanmike

Captain

never heard of suzuki, but you heard of force.... thats bad!

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice

for some reason, i don't trust the dealer that said the engine block is cracked. he was talking crap about how Force engines are crap and that he had an extra outboard that's similar to replace it...<br /><br />well, i guess i'll take it to another mechanic and get his opinion. how can i tell (if i do it myself) that the engine block is cracked?<br /><br />i have 2 options if it really is cracked...<br /><br />1. buy a new, more powerful engine (~$6000)<br />2. buy a rebuilt powerhead (~$3000)<br /><br />i think an extra $3000 is worth getting a new or rebuilt engine from yamaha or suzuki... what do you experts think?

22trophy

Seaman

I'm a Force Fan. I have 500 hrs on my 120 hp motor on a 22'fishing boat. It runs like new. It works hard(wish I had a 150) but, I don't run it near red line, 4600 rpm tops. My mechanic told me, it's on ski boats that the Forces are done in on. Running at red line equals death. <br />My recommendation buy a used engine (except an Optimax). Forces have no resale, aren't good on ski boats, and 3,000 should buy a great used motor. Good luck.

phatmanmike

Captain

if you pay 3000 for a rebuilt force powerhead, i will fly out to where ever you are and slap you.<br /><br />here you can get a 20 foot boat, motor, and trailer for that price. heck for that price, get two :) <br /><br />dude, serisouly. if your force is dead, move on and get something that, has, as the previous poster says, has resale value.( among other things)<br /><br /><br />i also dont beleive that you need to spend 6 thousand on a used outboard.<br /><br />if they TRUELY are that expensive where you are, let me know, ill ship you one, and you can save the extra 3 thousand that you just saved!<br /><br />but why do you think the block is cracked? do you have water in the cylinder? is your compression bad? what makes you think that this is happening?<br /><br />what made you think something was wrong in the first place to take it to the mechanic to check it out anyways?<br /><br />give us some information and we can help you...immensly!

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

James,<br />E-mail me at LT1T56RX7@AOL.com<br />I live in solano county and know a guy who works on outboards and is certified by merc on late model force motors.<br />He is honest and won't try to sell you a new motor if all you need is a little work on the one you have.

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br />but why do you think the block is cracked? do you have water in the cylinder? is your compression bad? what makes you think that this is happening?<br /><br />what made you think something was wrong in the first place to take it to the mechanic to check it out anyways?<br /><br />give us some information and we can help you...immensly! [/QB]
this engine still runs strong (can hit 45MPH+ with 5+ people in boat), but i took it in for a tune-up and the mechanic couldn't do a compression check because the threads in cylinder 3 were bad. he replaced the head and found water on the bottom 2 cylinders. he then said the engine block is cracked and i need a new engine.<br /><br />how else can i tell if the block is cracked? i checked the compression last season and it was 135, 145, 150, 150. <br /><br />bluewater, check your mail!

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could be a blown head gasket, if he replaced the head did he run compression after he replaced it?-- or did he just say you got water in your cylinders your screwed?

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by qab999:<br /> could be a blown head gasket, if he replaced the head did he run compression after he replaced it?-- or did he just say you got water in your cylinders your screwed?
he said that the compression was good and he replaced all the gaskets that can cause water to get into the cylinders. he checked the gas tank and everything and said it's probably a cracked cylider in the engine block.<br /><br />so, instead of taking the whole engine apart (they charge $80/hr), they siad it'll be cheaper to replace it or rebuld it for $4000.<br /><br />hmmmmmm... what else can cause water to get into the cylinders even after all the gaskets were replaced?

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If water can get in wouldn't air under pressure get out thru the same crack thus leading to a bad compression reading? <br /><br />maybe eurolarva or roscoe can shed more light on this -- but that's my 2 cents

phatmanmike

Captain

remember, water can also enter a water cooled 2 stroke from the exhaust side. i had this happen once ona 50hp omc.<br /><br />my exhaust cover/block-off/plate/thingy was so corroded, it was allowing h20 into the cylinders and eventually killed the motor.<br /><br />water is never good ina motor.<br /><br />ever<br /><br />check the compression yourself. a new guage is only 24 bucks at any good hardware or auto parts store, or at sears.com

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT stick $3000 or $4000 into that engine.<br />If it runs as good as you say, keep running it.<br />When it stops performing as it should, part it out and replace it.

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> DO NOT stick $3000 or $4000 into that engine.<br />If it runs as good as you say, keep running it.<br />When it stops performing as it should, part it out and replace it.
that's exactly what i'm planning on doing. the mechanic said it's basically running on 2.5 cylinders and the it'll run like this until it just dies out. i guess i can run it hard for a few more seasons (if it doesn't die first) and then part it out and replace it. <br /><br />i checked on ebay and based on their prices, it looks like i won't get too much if i part it out. oh well, i hope i can get about $500 from it after i spend about $5K on a different engine.<br /><br />thanks for the help, guys!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You will do ok parting it out if you sell everything separately, prop, l/u, tnt, cowling, carbs, etc.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You might want to stay away from that suzuki as well. I have heard that parts for that motor are outragously expensive. I chat with a guy down in florida who got rid of his because of the price of running it.

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

JamesGy, I was reading your post, I am a Johnson?evinruded man. I have several engines that I built. The reason why I am responding is that last year I bought a 97 19 foot trophy with a 120 force 25 inch shaft with a bad lower unit. I removed the engine and put my 110 Johnson on the boat. This force runs and has good compression. I hook up a hose to the copper tube and will run it every few weeks. The compression is 155,155,150, 150. I bought the boat last year for the hull.The lower unit got a hole in it and trased the gears. Has a nice stilleto prop ,trim and tilt. I live in Orlando. Good motor it just needs a lower. You would have to look into shipping but would sell it for $900 so I can free up space in my garage and start to rebuild a 150 evinrude intruder email me if interested jsapo@cfl.rr.com <br />o

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

gab is rite.if you have a crack, it can go both ways.water in the cylinder would make much less power ,so u shouldnt be able to run it hard for a few seasons more.a crack is a crack.it should be worse when under heat and compression.u need another opinion.seriously.!!!.some marine people have to make their winter money in the summer sonehow.not all.i personally know of one.hth

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

My question is if the mechanic opened up the head to replace the bad spark plug hole with new head, why did he replace the head nowing that two cylinders had water in them? He woul;d be able to tell from rust on the cylinder walls. My advice to you is get a compression tester and keep an eye on the compression. And if it bothers you that it may be getting water in the cylinders, get your self a can of fogging spray and fog it after running it.

pigster30

Cadet

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> remember, water can also enter a water cooled 2 stroke from the exhaust side. i had this happen once ona 50hp omc.<br /><br />my exhaust cover/block-off/plate/thingy was so corroded, it was allowing h20 into the cylinders and eventually killed the motor.<br /><br />water is never good ina motor.<br /><br />ever<br /><br />check the compression yourself. a new guage is only 24 bucks at any good hardware or auto parts store, or at sears.com