Force 85 serial number

Craig cK

Seaman
Hey guys,<br /><br />Just a short one;<br /><br />Any clues where to find the serial number?<br /><br />There are various numbers on different bits - which one do I choose?!? The engine looks pretty mint so I don't think it's a ringer!<br /><br />Thanks for the help!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 85 serial number

SN is on a tag, contains serial number and name of manufacturer. It is on the side of the transom mounting bracket.<br />Sorry, nowhere else on that motor.<br /><br />Many configurations of that motor, even within the same year. Good luck identifying it.

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 1986 Force 85 and you have to remove the cowling to get to the S/N. It is below the carbs on mine. Goofy place for it IMHO. I'm told they moved it in later models.

Craig cK

Seaman

Oh bugger!<br />Yeah - there is a sticky patch to the side of the transom bracket! :( <br /><br />What am I going to put on the insurance form now!!??!!<br /><br />I'll check under the carbs; but there are so many numbers on the engine (which I pressume most are part numbers).<br /><br />Thanks for the help people! :)

Craig cK

Seaman

Well, my insurance company won't cover me without the number! :( <br />What do people think? Could I make a bogus one?? Hmmmm....that or no cover for it! but then that's fraud! Buggered really!

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you have a title for the motor?? I think my motor title has the serial number on it-

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Only about 4 or 6 states require a title for an outboard.

Craig cK

Seaman

No sorry no title for it! Chasing the previous owner with a large baton at the moment!<br /><br />What a stupid place to put a serial number though - a sticky label on the transom bracket - hardly theft proof!

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you are standing behind the motor with cover off look on the right hand side below the powerhead inside the pan. there should be a u.s. marine tag there.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1985 85hp force that i use for parts. it has a serial number plate on it if you are interested.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to create a sn for it.<br />Engrave it on the powerhead and now you have a unique identifying number that the insurance company desires.<br /><br />Same thing has been done many thousands of times for motors, hulls, trailers, etc.

Craig cK

Seaman

I was thinking that; the insurance brokers didn't seem so keen on the idea. Maybe I'll have to go straight to the insurers and ask them direct.<br /><br />Thanks t.Martin. I'll have a look there tomorrow. I've had a good scout about and not seen anything yet - but I'll certainly give that a try! Thanks for the offer on giving me your serial number too - very kind. I'm wondering if it would be best for me to take your number and no further questions with the insurance company. I'll give it some thought and let you know.<br /><br />Thanks for all your help.

Craig cK

Seaman

t.martin....any chance you could e-mail me that serial number please? <br /><br />Don't worry there shouldn't be any probs - I'm based in the UK! I think there will be bigger problems if my engine ends up in the US!<br /><br />Thanks!

fernando

Cadet

sure i want it can want my email or you want to send it to me iboat.com but mine is 1988 and you said srial # is off an 85 what do you want to do thanks

fernando

Cadet

t martin me again ill try that see if it will work i guess i just need the serial number off it as long its never gonna be used again thanks let me know