Chrysler 60 hp fires at one cylinder only

I have a Chrysler 60 HP Maganapower II. I checked it in the dark last night for spark at both cylinders. The bottom fired ok, but not the top. Could I assume a bad coil most likely? Or perhaps the CD unit? The wiring to the coil pack? Any other ideas? Thanks

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chrysler 60 hp fires at one cylinder only

Switch coils and see if that makes a difference.Check carefully to be sure you don't have a wire disconnected, especially from the stator to the coil pack. That happened to me.

Well, after fiddling for two weeks I've found that the number one coil was wired incorrectly. I now have solid fire at both coils. However, I STILL cannot get the thing to start. I have new fuel, Primer bulb gets hard when pumping, cleaned carbs, good fire. The compression is a little low, but its an old motor. 112 and 85. If I crank it, it doesn't even want to start. If I spray some carb cleaner in the carbs it cranks harder and stops until the compression releases a little. BTW, it had the wrong spark plugs in it so now its got brand new ones. Does anyone have any ideas before I pull this thing into the woods and let it sit there for the rest of the summer? Thanks.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are sure you are getting fuel to the cylinders. fuel pump diaphragm?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

DO NOT SPRAY CARB CLEANER INTO YOUR ENGINE!!!!!! You're washing away all your engine lubrication.<br />Use premixed gas/oil.<br /><br />Check the static timing.

Update: The timing, checked with a timing light, is about 2 deg before TDC. The book was a little vauge on the static timing + I didn't have the tool. So, as I crank the engine and spray a little oil/gas mix into the carbs she almost wants to start and then the starter wheel slides down the Bendix and disengages the flywheel. I try a few times to start and it only spins the flywheel a few times before disengaging until after about five times there is a whoosh out what seems to be where the exhaust water comes out ( all the built up gases) then she'll crank fine and fast but won't want to start. By setting the timing advance/retard screw under the flywheel, I don't think there is any possible way to get it near 32 deg before TDC. Which is where I understand it should be? Thanks

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

If the timing is 30 degrees off, sounds like you've found your problem. Time to remove the flywheel and see if the key is broken.<br /><br />To do a quick static timing check, move #1 to TDC. Check that the flywheel timing mark aligns with TDC.

Thanks Chuck. I did check TDC yesterday. Rotated the flywheel clockwise until #1 came to the top. The timing mark aligned with TDC. When I put on the timing light on it while cranking, it was showing 1 - 2 deg BTDC. If I read the book right, they are looking at about 32 BTDC. I did check the key and it is fine. Thanks -- Peter

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

They are probably looking for 32 degrees BTDC at WOT.

I did read the service manual again and it is 32 BTDC at WOT and TDC +- 3deg when the cylinder is topped out. My compression readings are 112 and 85. Is this still ok? I know it's supposed to be within 10% but its an old engine. Do you have any other ideas why it won't start? Why does the starter disengage when it tries to start? I do have strong spark on both and I cleaned the carbs. Thanks for all your help Chuck.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The starter is designed to disengage when the flywheel spins faster than the starter, like when the engine starts. This is normal.<br /><br />Sound like you have the ignition all sorted out and it's OK. That leaves fuel or air, meaning either a lack of fuel or too much air. Spraying fuel into the carbs seems to make it want to start but it doesn't. I would start checking for paths that extra air can get in. Maybe the carb gaskets are NG.<br /><br />Is #2 coil wired properly? Is spark being applied at the right time to #2?

From the service manual, top coil brn/wht lead from trigger goes to + and on the bottom org/brn trigger lead goes to -. I don't see a +/- on the coils but wired them as the diagram shows. Assuming left is - and right is + looking from the top. Now I have spark at both. Don't know how I could tell if #2 is firing at the correct time.<br /><br />As for the carb gaskets, they looked ok. I made sure the fuel pump diaphram wasn't broken. The o rings to the crankcase looked like they could be replaced but I didn't have the right size. I can pick them up today but i don't think its leaking there.<br /><br />Any other places that you think air can enter? How can I check #2 firing? Put a mark 180 deg on the flywheel and check with the timing light? Thanks

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

New, How do the plugs look after all that cranking. You probably already know this but there should be a knob on the control that allows you to give the motor a small amount of the throttle as your cranking if the plugs are not wet you could open this up a little and have someone try to pump the primer bulb while you are cranking. Just be very careful not to get in the way of carb. in case of backfire. Does the primer bulb get hard when you pump it up?

How do Novice! Plugs look dry after cranking. On the control is a pull out knob that says "pull out to start". I've done this but the only thing I think it does is disengage the forward/reverse gears. If I move the control for or aft the interlock switch opens and cranking stops. The primer bulb gets hard but I think its a great idea to try to pump it while cranking the engine over. I can give it a try tonite. Thanks for your input.

One thing I forgot to tell everyone. The bottom portion of the tower shaft is broken off. Looks like an "L" But by the position of the tower shaft at idle, I don't think it would have any bearing on the situation.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With the crappy gasoline we have these days, you might want to consider setting the timing at 28BTDC. I set my 1970 55hp at that.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The knob you pulled out on your control box allows you to start and run the motor in neutral with more throttle. This is in case you get it flooded, or need to run it at fast idle to warm it up. There is something wrong if you pull out the knob, advance the throttle, and the interlock kicks in. Go ahead and pull out the knob, advance the throttle, and rig a jumper wire across the interlock switch. Then try cranking it.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

New, exactly what is broken? The towershaft rod or just a roll pin that holds one of the cams in place? Try what Doc says and wire the two yellow wires together and crank with the throttle open and out of gear.

Update: Morning folks. I tried a few things over the weekend and here are the results. Tried cranking while pumping the primer with no luck. I tried to pull out the knob on the control panel and move the throttle forward a little. It did crank so I must have been confused and tried it with the knob in the last time. So that problem is solved. After a few tries I pulled the plugs and looked at them closely this time. They are surface gap type plugs so it was hard to notice the last time, but once again, I must have been confused. They were wet. I cranked the engine over with both plugs out but connected. They seemed to be firing just fine. Looked strong to me. They are the correct type UL-18V crossed to NGK. I pulled the carbs and cranked it a little to check the reed valve operation. They seemed to be flapping just fine. I did notice the puddle drain hose but didn't know how to check the operation. So I cranked it a little more with the carbs off to flush it out in case it was flooded. I put everything back together and cranked it for a few seconds at a time. At first at idle then with the throttle cracked a little. It didn't even want to start. To Novicetech, the bottom portion of the tower shaft is broken off. As you look at the tower shaft straight on, its connected to the crankcase in two spots with halved nylon bushings. One upper and one lower to allow the shaft to rotate. The portion of the shaft below the lower bushing is broken off. The piece thats broken off resembles an "L". But by judging the position of the shaft, I don't think the broken off portion comes into play at idle or near idle. So, I think I've rambled enough. I do remember in the posts here somewhere that sometimes the plugs won't fire under compression. Since they were wet, I'm thinking ... Back to the ignition??!?!? Thanks for the help everyone.