power head removal 50 hp force

Status
Not open for further replies.

msman

Cadet
I took out all the bolts I could see, and it only moves up about and inch on each side. I dont have motor puller, but I used pry bars real carefully on 4 sides.What else could I do. The main problem is exhaust gasket blown.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: power head removal 50 hp force

I checked the manual, and there is a shock mount cover at the front of motor that must be removed so you can get to and unbolt the shock mount. You 'll probably need to remove the carburetor and the choke solenoid so you can get to the shock mount cover. Manual indicates there are five screws holding the shock mount cover in place. Be really careful if you are going to remove the powerhead from the rest of the motor. It weighs about the same as a Volkswagen Beetle (seems like). Either use a lifter or get a buddy to help (wives or girlfriends don't count). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

msman

Cadet

I removed the 5 screw, I think I got all the bolts, but I had 3 men prying. Maybe its stuck and need more shaking and prying. under the side with the wiring harness feels tighter. maybe another screw, but not showing. Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My 45 chrysler had two where Docdoc mentioned. They were located under the carb. You may have to remove the air baffle to find the hidden screws. See item 25 on the attached link<br /> Item 25

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not familiar with your motor, but is there a shift shaft or linkage that needs to be disconnected?

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe and eurolarva have good points. Be sure you disconnected the shift linkage just like you were going to drop the lower unit. There are five bolts that go downward through the flange into the lower leg. There should be two on the side where the wiring harness is. One of these is covered by the power pack, so you would have to unbolt and move the power pack to get to it. In addition, there are two torx head bolts that go upward through the front of the lower leg into the powerhead. That's a total of 7 bolts holding the powerhead to the lower leg.<br />With all those bolts out, the only thing left is the upper shock mount. I doubt the powerhead/lower leg gasket is holding that firm. The only other thing I can think of is your driveshaft is stuck in the powerhead, but if you've recently dropped the lower unit to change water pump impeller, this should not be the case.

msman

Cadet

Thanks, you guys, for the info. I forgot to take the 2 bolts on the shocks on underneath side of powerhead. Now, what gaskets do I need. I know I need the one connecting powerhead to lower leg. When I took the exhaust pipe off, it wasnt one there. Should it be? Any diagrams and tips will be appreciated.I have manual, but not very plain.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Post your model number and year. There are a ton of different 50 HP force motors out there. Here is one link. This is for a 88 50 Hp. Item number 1 exhaust gasket<br /><br />Or if you are interested in a complete kit look here. This kit has everything for the powerhead except for the head gasket<br /> complete gasket kit

msman

Cadet

Sorry,My model is 507X90D 1990 50 HP

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Your motor is a 1990 model and the kit I posted above will not work for your motor. Here is a link to Mercurys web site. It shows the gasket you need however they dont show a price for it. You can do a search on the part number they have and you should be able to find what you are looking for.<br /> motor leg link

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I replaced the motor leg gasket on my Force 50 (1988 model). I had to order a gasket kit that covered from 35 to 50 hp. It is a Quicksilver Gasket Kit 35/50 Part No. 27-820475A 1. It has 3 different gaskets only one of which I needed. I want to say it cost me about $24.00

msman

Cadet

Thanks for the help.Yall saved me about $500.00 at the local repair shop.

SEMIpropeller

Recruit

i checked the manual, and there is a shock mount cover at the front of motor that must be removed so you can get to and unbolt the shock mount. You 'll probably need to remove the carburetor and the choke solenoid so you can get to the shock mount cover. Manual indicates there are five screws holding the shock mount cover in place. Be really careful if you are going to remove the powerhead from the rest of the motor. It weighs about the same as a volkswagen beetle (seems like). Either use a lifter or get a buddy to help (wives or girlfriends don't count). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.