89 125 Force ..Engine dead on one cyl.

vega

Cadet
Engine was running fine for a few days, ( Just Got the boat )...then engine would not idle.<br /><br />Compression check<br />1 - 115<br />2 - 120<br />3 - 120<br />4 - 0<br /><br />Funny thing at full throttle seems to be running on all 4 cyl's... 19 foot cuddy cabin 125HP with 4 people around 35 to 37 MPH. Seems crazy to me.<br /><br />Possable bad head gasket or scored cyl ??<br /><br />If the engine needs to be rebuilt any good place to buy online? Or should I have my buddy here at AAA machine and Outboard go through it ?<br /><br />Thanks for the advice..<br /><br />.....John...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 125 Force ..Engine dead on one cyl.

So Sad, :( <br /><br />Have the head pulled and inspect for damage and extent.<br />It may be just a head gasket, if you are lucky.<br />Then have them look for the cause of the problem, such as an overheat caused by an old or failing waterpump, or a lean running #4 cylinder.<br /><br />If you have a local mechanic that you trust, have him look at it.

vega

Cadet

I hope im lucky too. But I know my luck, its prob the cly.<br /><br />Why would cyl 4 lean out and not #3, the intake is<br />joined there ?<br /><br />Thanks......John.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Because my brain was thinking you had 4 carbs. me dumb sumtymz.

vega

Cadet

Thanks Roscoe you have been a lot of help !<br /><br />Pulled the head, ring caught port or ring bevel stuck, piston has a small outward dent and Cyl is scored at the ports, I guess thats why it would not idle, I'm having my Buddy at AAA machine and outboard overhaul it, I hope in doing the right thing, I know he does good work I see his business named on this board in a few threads.<br /><br />You think i'm doing the right thing or is this all going to happin again ?<br /><br />Thanks Again ...... John ..........