5hp Force running great then dead

texeng

Recruit
I have a 1995 5hp Force on a dingy. The little motor has been a real champ for 3 years, but I am good about flushing salt water out and winterizing.<br /><br />Last summer, after getting a good half mile up a channel, the engine just died and would not restart. By the way dingies don't row well with one paddle, a 10 knot headwind and opposing tide!<br /><br />I opened the motor up in my basement and checked spark and compression. Both seem good. Fuel at inlet to engine is clean and I am careful not to run old fuel. I am known to use a stabilizer from time to time. However, the spark plug was wet and covered with that foamy brown stuff that looks like water that has sat in oil for a while. Hence, I am suspicious of water fouling.<br /><br />I've never worked on any engine used in water and I don't want to make more of a mess. Any suggestions on fixes? Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 5hp Force running great then dead

Is this motor water cooled or air cooled? Sounds to me like you overheated and the motor shut down because of it. Have you tried restarting it since this happened? Typically when a motor over heats the metal expands and causes the pistons to freeze up. When the motor cools down it should run good again till it overheats. If you are able to restart the motor and it sounds like its running good check the impeller and and then the rest of the cooling system.<br /><br />IF motor will not restart then remove plug and ground out the tip while the plug wire is attached check for spark in a dark room. Post your results after you have checked these things.

texeng

Recruit

Water cooled, I think. It sucks water and spits water, so it must be water cooled, right?!?!<br /><br />From the posts I have read, overheating in Force engines is a problem. I know the spark is good...I checked it with my thumb (redneck method) and in dim light. I will try running it with it several months cool...with good fuel of course. Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

When you run it verify water is going out the back and it is very warm. Gas should be mixed 50 to 1 with marine grade oil. It is possible that something electrical is defective however my guess is still overheating. There were problems with some mercury coils I believe that when they got warm they would crap out. Good luck

texeng

Recruit

Thanks euro...I got to thinking that the water in the cylinder may simply be condensation, especially since the engine has set up for a few months. I am really leaning toward your suggestion now.<br /><br />Thanks again.