1989 Force 50 will not idle,after overheat

zxcess

Recruit
Motor overheated and slowed to idle while on plain. I turned the motor off and it would not start. After a hour it started after repeated efforts.The motor would die if I returned to idle. I need to check compression still.I can get it started if I idle up and keep it above 1200RPM. Below that, it dies immediately,but it runs smooth without A miss.Removed plug in top of Head to see if water was making it up there.Water does not stream out but it did manage to get everything pretty wet, fairly quick(Including me). Thanks for any input.I will put it to good use. GoodDay.

interceptor

Cadet
Re: 1989 Force 50 will not idle,after overheat

Ahoy zxcess!! Ditto on your problem. I've been having intermittent overheats for a couple of weeks. Assumed my water pump impeller was funky, as if I let it idle for a minute or so, it would start throwing water out the tattletales, and I would proceed as normal. Last time out, overheat alarm buzzer went off, and after three cooldowns leaving outboard idling and waiting until buzzer quit doing its thing, it would no longer idle down. It would run fine at 1/4 throttle or so, but not at any higher speeds. Did a preliminary check back at the ranch and found the thermostat stuck partway open. Compression in the 95 PSI range, and a slight water content in the lower cylinder which appears to foul the plug. If a Force 50 isn't running on both cylinders, it wont't start unless you give it a little throttle. I'm assuming I have a cracked head, block, or blown head gasket. This seems to be a common problem with the Force/Chrysler outboards in that HP range. Planning on autopsy this weekend. Will<br />let you know what I find. GO PACKERS!!