'69 45 hp chrysler... LU leak at shift pivot screw

BF

Lieutenant
at least I think that's what the thing is called. It's the phillips screw in front and a bit above the drain/fill screw on the LU. There's been a leak there for years... when it sits for a long time, gear oil weeps out from around the screw. It gets a small amount of water in the gear oil when being used, but it gets only a handful of hours on it per year, so we've just been changing the gear oil out instead of fixing the problem. No LU problems (so far).<br /><br />It's my father-in-law's boat and I think it could be one of those, "maybe it's better not to mess with it" situations. But is there an easy way to replace the gasket/seal behind that screw? I don't really wanna take the LU apart. I've read that if that screw is removed, you can't get it back in unless you've got the LU apart enough to align the something that that screw goes into (the end of the shift shaft?). I've thought about doing a really 1/2 a$$ed thing like just cleaning the outside with brake cleaner and putting a blob of sealant over it... It might not work, but it might be better than doing nothin'. Or maybe I could loosen that screw a turn or two to get some gasket maker behind it and then tighten it back down? Could be risky I guess.<br /><br />I'm just trying to not start a big project on a motor that still runs, but has more or less been neglected for ~35 years. I've got enough projects with my own stuff.<br /><br />Thanks for your $.02<br /><br />Brent

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: '69 45 hp chrysler... LU leak at shift pivot screw

What about cleaning the area in question, roughing it up with sandpaper and applying some RTV?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey :) <br />You can probable remove the Pivot Screw with no worries, replace the sealing washer on the screw and reinstall it. As long as you dont move the throttle or jar the Unit, the shift coupler should stay in posstion in line with the Pivot Screw hole.<br /><br />heheh I just tore mine down last night and removed the pivot screw and the coupler stayed in postion.<br />you will see if it has slipped out of alignment

BF

Lieutenant

scotiany.... ya, that was my first thought and easiest option... might work<br /><br />Grant...<br /><br />it's the "probably" and "should" part of your reply that's the problem ;) <br /><br />Anyone know what kind of seal/gasket is on that screw? Is it the same as a vent drain gasket or something else? The boat is hours away from any source of parts, so running out after I've got the old part in hand is not an option.<br /><br />thx.<br /><br />Brent

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

In this situation I would take out the screw with the motor tilted all the way up and turned all the way so you have easy access to the screw...take it out gently and put a nail in it's place to hold the shift lever...use a little teflon tape, or thread sealer to seal the threads. If you have acces to a file or grinder, fashion the end of the screw to a dull point so it will go in easier...should do ya...just a thought :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

It is called a nyltite washer. The mercury number is 12-F8001. They cost 55 cents.

BF

Lieutenant

is it different than the drain fill one? I've got lots of those already.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Yes it is different then the drain fill one. It is a lot smaller.