50 Force overheat alarm

randy820

Cadet
Hello i have a 1990 50 force.. The overheat alarm is sounding. this started after the boat was sitting for a little while not running in the water(30 min). I have a good spray of water and the head feels cool. I passed the 15 sec test by touching the head. I did have a lose main red cable to the engine... Could this of shorted something out? I am waitng for a manual the other one fell in the lake. any Ideas? The boat is running great except for the loud buzz. I did disconect the buzzer for the time being.<br /><br />Thanks Randy

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 Force overheat alarm

check your wiring. I had the same problem and found shorted wires. While the engine is running, check to see if the harness or the ignition switch gets hot. If so the problem may be with bad wires. Hope this helps

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 Force overheat alarm

Randy,<br /><br />Photocopy the pages of the manual you want down by the water. That way you won't lose anymore manuals in the lake.<br /><br />Just joshin' you.<br /><br />You could bypass the boat wiring by jumpering from the warning horn to the temp sensor. If it is a failed temp sensor, the horn will keep sounding, if it is the wiring, it will stop. The key would have to be on, and I think you are going after the tan wire to make this test. Just a thought...