1970 chrysler 120 outboard not charging

wackky

Recruit
the motor turns on and runs but is charging at 12.5v, the wires from the stator go directly to the voltage regulator and a generator wire from the regulator goes directly to the ignition switch. is there a way to check the regulator and the stator? when i put the ign. forward is there suppose to be voltage on the generator wire?<br /> thanks for any help

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1970 chrysler 120 outboard not charging

I am not an expert here but if you put a volt meter on your battery when motor is running at cruising speed your voltage should be going up to at least 13.5 VDC. When you are saying regulator do you mean rectifier? I have never heard of a regulator on an outboard. A rectifier converts the positive AC voltage into DC volts. If you are not seeing a jump in voltage on your battery when motor is running at cruising speed chances are the rectifier is bad. They can be tested with a multimeter that has a diode tester, however I have not tried this. On diode tester meter leads hooked one way will show no reading. Reverse the leads and you should read around 1.2K to 1.4K ohms.

wackky

Recruit

this engine has a voltage regulator, part# fs474470 but it is not available anymore.<br />can i wire another marine charger to this engine

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

How many leads does the regulator have? Two or three? I doubt you can put a differnt charger to the motor because that is done by the alternator. Does the regulator have three leads coming out of the bottom of a square with a metal back and a hole punched in the top? If so you can probably get one at radio shack. If you have a digital camera take a picture of it and post it here.

wackky

Recruit

it has 3 leads coming out the top and a ground lead on the side. two of the top ones say ac,the other says positive. i will post a picture later today,my camera is at home. i stopped by radio shack on thursday and they did not have anything like this

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Wackky...post a pic...I think I am using one of those regulator/rectifier units for a paperweight... :cool: